[Subject] [Date] [Moderator] Home

['Aalim Network QR] Transliterations (Arabic to English)

	The reply to the following question was kindly provided by Br.
Shaun Astarabadi.

QUESTION & ANSWER:

I am writing a book about the Ahlul-Bayt for Americans and I would like to
know the most current & correct transliteration of several names,
places, and things. Please, could you help me? Also, in regard to the
names, I need to know the correct salutation after each of the names. They
are as follows:

> Jibril
	Jibraeel ('Alaihi Assalam)
> Mecca
	Mecca or Macca (al-Mukarramah)
> Medina
	(al-Munawwarah)
> Osman/Othman/'Uthman
	al-Khalifa Othman bin 'Affan
> Omar/Umar/'Umar
	al-Khalifa Omar bin al-Khattab
> Ali
	al-Imam Ali ('Alaihi Assalam)
> Ameerul Momineen
	Ameerul Moemineen (as)
> Fatima tul Zehra
	Fatima al-Zahraa/FatimatuZzahraa ('Alaiha Assalam)
> Fatima Batul
	Fatima al-Batool ('Alaiha Assalam)
> Hussein
	Hussain ('Alaihi Assalam)
> Hassan
	('Alaihi Assalam)
> Ummat
	Umma
> Adhan (call to prayer)
	Athan
> Miraj
	Mi'raj
> Khalifa/Calipha
> Khalif/Caliph
	Khalifa is transliteration of the Arabic word
	Caliph or calif is the English word of the Arabic origin (Ref:
	Webster Dictionary)
> A'yesha
	'Aesha
> Mu'aviyah
	Mu'awiyah bin Abi Sufyan
> Maula
	Mawla
> Khums
	O.K.
> Ahlul-Bayt/Ahle-Bait
	Ahlul Bayt
> Sheikh/Shaykh
	Sheikh

Wassalam,

Shaun Astarabadi

Back: ['Aalim Network QR] Translation of Marriage Formula (Nikah)
Forward: ['Aalim Network QR] Transmigration and Predestination