[Subject] [Date] [Moderator] Home

['Aalim Network QR] Music - Breaking the Habit

	The reply to the following question was kindly provided by Shaykh
Mustafa Jaffer

Saalam Alikum

I wanted to know, as to how it is possible to break a sinning habit like
listening to Music. At times one asks for forgiveness genuinly but commits
the sin again forgetting that it is a sin. We are told in many places that
once you commit a sin and then ask for forgiveness, you should not commit
the same sin again. But what if it was a habit and sometimes one tries
very hard to break it but being human we slip and forget and commit the
sin again.

>Will Allah (s.w.a) forgive such a person?  Please advice soon!!

ANSWER:

Breaking off of a bad habit needs firm resolution and committment (needless
to say). You have been trying to give it up, but find yourself returning to
the folds of Music listeners. My advice is keep on trying and one day you
will find you have given it up totally! Do not give up trying!

Allah is very very Merciful and Forgiving. He will forgive anything and
your repetition of sins can also be forgiven provided you draw a line and
sincerely stop.

Have you sought solace in alternatives? Perhaps find something else to
occupy you during times when you get the urge to listen to Music? Try also
reciting certain Duas and performing certain actions that help a person
refrain from committing sins [eg. fasting].

May the Almighty help us all from the enticements and traps of Shaytan - Amen.

With Salaams and Duas

Mustafa Jaffer

Back: ['Aalim Network QR] Music
Forward: ['Aalim Network QR] Music - Buying cassettes/CD's