[Subject] [Date] [Moderator] Home

['Aalim Network QR] Mahr (Dowry) for second wife

	The reply to the following question was kindly provided by Mulla
Asghar.

Salaam Alaikum..

My husband is to marry a second wife and I have no ill-feelings
whatsoever with this. The question is in regard to the dowry....We have
been married for less than a year and my dowry was $5000 dollars, but
now less than a year has passed an her dowry has escalated to something
close to $20,000.  Does this great difference come under the criteria of
equality?

Thank you and jazakum allah kheiran for your reply..

ANSWER:

The basis of Mahr is mutual agreement - therefore it does not reflect any
inequality if it differs from the previous or other contemporary Mahr.

Asgharali M.M. Jaffer

Back: ['Aalim Network QR] Lost property/Ghasb
Forward: ['Aalim Network QR] Making a living from Mut'a