[Subject] [Date] [Moderator] Home

['Aalim Network QR] Amulets with Qur'anic ayaat

Assalamu 'alaykum

The following question was answered by Shaykh Mustafa Jaffer.

Salaams & Duas
Ummulbanin Merali - Moderator - 'Aalim Network

Some people put necklaces, pins, or other amulets on their babies with ayats
from the Quran on them.  They do this as a protection for the children.
Someone recently gave such a pin to my newborn son.  The pin is gold and has
an ayat on it.  I think the gold is ok for him as he is a baby, but I am not
sure about this.  The thing that bothers me is that putting these charms on
the babies looks like shirk to me.  It looks like we are relying on these
charms to protect our babies and I believe only Allah can protect us.  I
mean no disrespect to the Quran, but the Quran was a revelation sent from
Allah,
it is not our God, nor, in my opinion can it help or harm us.  Am I wrong in
these ideas?

ANSWER:

It is true that only Allah can help. However, He Himself has placed many
creations of His that are used as mediums to get to His Pleasure and Mercy.

The Holy Quran, whilst is a revelation from Allah, is itself a very sacred
book. Every verse has its own merit in meaning, recitation and even just
looking at the printed text of the verse in its original Arabic form. These
are no ordinary words. These are the words of Allah.

Thus, having a verse hanging on a child in the form of bracelet of pendant
is not shirk. It is merely using something precious to us by virtue of it
being Allah's words.

The Holy Quran, in its own merit, also has the power to heal. Allah (SWT)
says in the Holy Quran:

"And we reveal of the Quran what is a cure and mercy for the believers....."
17:82

With Salaams and Duas

Mustafa Jaffer

Back: ['Aalim Network QR] Amr-bil-Ma'ruf (Enjoining Good) & Nahi-anil-Munkar
Forward: ['Aalim Network QR] Angels names for children