[Subject] [Date] [Moderator] Home

['Aalim Network QR] Divorce

Assalamu 'alaykum

The following question was answered by Shaykh Mustafa Jaffer
Salaams & Duas
Ummulbanin Merali - Moderator - 'Aalim Network

Last December I traveled to Baku, Azerbaijan where I got married. Sadly,
I was coerced and pressured into marrying a Sunni Muslim woman. I did not
want to marry this woman, but was told I must marry her as she was one of
three
women my Sheikh recommended for marriage. I am not a drinker, but my
"friends" in her country drink heavily and got me drunk the night I
proposed. We had a
"City Hall" legal marriage in her country, and then she went and got some
Hoja or someone to write-up an Islamic marriage certificate. I was not present
when she obtained the Islamic certificate.

Is there such a thing as "annulment" in Islam? Is this certificate that she
obtained a valid Islamic marriage certificate? If I am married to her, under
Islamic Law, then what is the proper way for me to divorce this woman under
Islamic Law?

ANSWER:

It seems the marriage has taken place without your consent. However, if you
did consummate the marriage, then you have, in other words, endorsed the
marriage. Thus, the only way to call off the marriage would be through
divorce - an action very unpleasant to the Almighty.

With Salaams and Duas

Mustafa

Back: ['Aalim Network QR] Divorce
Forward: ['Aalim Network QR] Divorce during Pregnancy