[Subject] [Date] [Moderator] Home

['Aalim Network QR] Prayer Recitation - Loud or Soft

The reply to the following was kindly provided by Shaykh Mustafa Jaffer

Salamalaikum,

This question concerns recitation during prayer, whether it is loud or
soft - if the Marja's differ then could you please answer based on
Ayatollah Sayed Seestani's rulings.

QUESTION 1:

Firstly could you please describe what is meant by loud and soft
recitation?

ANSWER 1:

The loud recitation of Qiraat (Al Hamd and any other Sura in the first
and second rakat of any namaaz)is compulsory on all men during Fajr, Maghrib
and Isha Prayers. As for Zuhr and Asr, the Qirat is to be recited softly.
The standards established by all Maraji indicate that loudness means loud
enough to be heard by a person if he were to stand next to him. Softly means
loud enough to hear yourself.

QUESTION 2:

Could you please tell me whether Takbiratul Ehram and "Bismillahir
Rahminir Rahim" before suras should be recited loudly by BOTH men and
women?

ANSWER 2:

The rule in reciting loudly is applicable to men and not women. Women
can act according to what has been prescribed for men ONLY if her voice will
not be heard by strange men around her. Overall, it is better for women to
recite silently.

QUESTION 3:

Could you please fill in the following tables with respect to whether
the recitation should be loud or soft (inserting L for loud and S for
soft as appropriate)

ANSWER 3:

I WILL ALSO ADD 'O' FOR OPTIONAL... zikar is actually Qirat - the
recitation of AL Hamd and any other Sura in the first and second rakaat
and Tasbihaate Arba in 3rd and 4th Rakaat.

For MEN:
+-------+-------+------+-------+------+-------+------+-------+------+
|       |1st Zik|Ru/Saj|2nd Zik|Ru/Saj|3rd Zik|Ru/Saj|4th Zik|Ru/Saj|
+-------+-------+------+-------+------+-------+------+-------+------+
|Fajar  |   L   |  O   |   L   |  O   |XXXXXXX|XXXXXX|XXXXXXX|XXXXXX|
+-------+-------+------+-------+------+-------+------+-------+------+
|Zuhur  |   S   |  O   |   S   |  O   |   S   |  O   |   S   |  O   |
+-------+-------+------+-------+------+-------+------+-------+------+
|Asr    |   S   |  O   |   S   |  O   |   S   |  O   |   S   |  O   |
+-------+-------+------+-------+------+-------+------+-------+------+
|Maghrib|   L   |  O   |   L   |  O   |   S   |  O   |XXXXXXX|XXXXXX|
+-------+-------+------+-------+------+-------+------+-------+------+
|Isha   |   L   |  O   |   L   |  O   |   S   |  O   |   S   |  O   |
+-------+-------+------+-------+------+-------+------+-------+------+
|Other  |   O   |  O   |   O   |  O   | XXXX  | XXXX |XXXXXX |XXXXX |
|Sunnat |       |      |       |      |       |      |       |      |
+-------+-------+------+-------+------+-------+------+-------+------+

For WOMEN:

AS EXPLAINED IT IS THE SAME FOR MEN IF THERE ARE NO MEN TO HEAR
THEIR VOICES. HOWEVER IT IS BETTER FOR THEM TO RECITE SOFTLY EVERYTHING
IN NAMAZ........
+-------+-------+------+-------+------+-------+------+-------+------+
|       |1st Zik|Ru/Saj|2nd Zik|Ru/Saj|3rd Zik|Ru/Saj|4th Zik|Ru/Saj|
+-------+-------+------+-------+------+-------+------+-------+------+
|Fajar  |       |      |       |      |XXXXXXX|XXXXXX|XXXXXXX|XXXXXX|
+-------+-------+------+-------+------+-------+------+-------+------+
|Zuhur  |       |      |       |      |       |      |       |      |
+-------+-------+------+-------+------+-------+------+-------+------+
|Asr    |       |      |       |      |       |      |       |      |
+-------+-------+------+-------+------+-------+------+-------+------+
|Maghrib|       |      |       |      |       |      |XXXXXXX|XXXXXX|
+-------+-------+------+-------+------+-------+------+-------+------+
|Isha   |       |      |       |      |       |      |       |      |
+-------+-------+------+-------+------+-------+------+-------+------+
|Other  |       |      |       |      |       |      |       |      |
|Sunnat |       |      |       |      |       |      |       |      |

Key:
Zik    = Zikar (usually said standing)
Ru/Saj = Ruku, both sajdas and tashahhud and salaam in the
              appropriate places

With salaams and duas for the good work you're doing.

With Salaams and Duas

Mustafa Jaffer

Back: ['Aalim Network QR] Prayer / Fasting / Wudu
Forward: ['Aalim Network QR] Prayers/Majlis