[Subject] [Date] [Moderator] Home

['Aalim Network QR] Halal Meat - Follow Up

The reply to the follow up questions were kindly provided by Shaykh Mustafa
Jaffer.

For the convenience of new members, we have included the original question
and the current follow up questions.

Please note the last question concerning seafood has been referenced to the
archives.

ORIGINAL QUESTION

Assalaamu 'alaikum.
Sorry for the two-part question.

First, please enumerate what constitutes halal and haram when it comes to
the slaughtering of an animal permissible
for Muslims to eat.  Please tell me which of these halal things are fard and
which are not.

Secondly, please tell me what constitutes halal and haram as far as the
preparation and cooking of that meat is concerned.  These questions concern
only meat and not animal by-products such as rennet, etc.

Your answers may be used in a study I am preparing for a publication on
Halal restaurants in and around Toronto.

Jazaakullaah khair.  Khuda hafiz.

[ORIGINAL] ANSWER:

The animals whose meat is allowed are:

1) Cows (Beef)
2) Goat (Mutton)
3) Sheep (Mutton)
4) Camel
5) Chicken

There are other exotic meats that may be allowed and some are Makruh
(recommended to avoid eating them). Yet there are other animals whose meat
is absolutely forbidden like Pig (Pork), animals of prey (Lion, Tiger,
Leopard, etc).

The animal has to be free from eating human faeces. If any of the above
animals have been eating human faeces, there is a period of quarantine
(different for each animal) that has to be put in place. Only after the
expiry of that period can one proceed to slaughter the animal.

Slaughtering the animal has to be done in the following manner:

1) The animal has to face Quibla (Fard)
2) The person slaughtering has to be a Muslim (Fard)
3) The person slaughtering has to recite Bismillah (Fard)
4) Blood flowing out of the animal has to be left to take its natural course
until the animal's body is empty of blood (Fard)
5) Make the animal drink some water before slaughtering (Recommended)
6)Do not let the animal see the knife or implement used for slaughtering
(Recommended)
7) Use a sharp knife or implement for slaughtering (Recommended)

After slaughtering, any person (Muslim or not) can handle the meat and carve
it into pieces to be used for cooking.

It has to be washed before cooking and after washing, only Muslims should
touch it or, if non Muslims were to touch it, then with gloves as contact
with a Najis person (KAfir) will make the meat najis and haraam to eat.

The meat, if fried, cannot be fried in Animal Fat or lard particularly from
Animals that have not been slaughtered according to Islamic Sharia. If there
is enough evidence to confirm that the Animal Fat used to fry the meat is
from animals slaughtered according to Sharia, then it is OK.

Trust this will help. If there is anything else you specifically want to
know, please do ask.

With Salaams and Duas

Mustafa Jaffer

FOLLOW-UP QUESTION - 1

What are these "exotic meats"? Do they include game such as deer and elk?

ANSWER 1

They do. Deer is allowed.

FOLLOW-UP QUESTION - 2

What sorts of meats are considered Makrouh, but not haram?

ANSWER	2

Examples are Horse, Donkey.

FOLLOW-UP QUESTION - 3

I have read we cannot eat rabbit, Do you have the source on hand?

ANSWER 3

It is true we are NOT allowed to eat Rabbit meat. I do not have the source
of the hadeeth in hand, perhaps where you read could be a good source??

FOLLOW-UP QUESTION - 4

What hadeeths are different between "sunnis" and "shias" concerning seafood?
This is because "sunnis" believe you can eat any food from the sea with the
exception of carnivores, but "shias" believe that the meat allowed from the
sea are only fish with scales and shrimp.

Jazak Allah Khayr,

ANSWER 4

[Moderator's Note - Please review the archives for the answer provided by
Syed Rizvi in September 1996 that addressed this same issue.  The URL link
for that answer is provided below for your convenience]

http://www.al-islam.org/organizations/AalimNetwork/msg00284.html

With Salaams and Duas

Mustafa Jaffer

Back: ['Aalim Network QR] Halal Meat (Follow-up)
Forward: ['Aalim Network QR] Halal Meat and Meat Preparation