[Subject] [Date] [Moderator] Home

['Aalim Network QR] Dry-Cleaning and Prayers

Salaam Alaykum

The following response was kindly provided by Shaykh Rasheed

wa salaam

I work in a company where I am required to wear a suit to work everyday.
These suits cannot be laundered at home and must be dry cleaned. Since I do
not have my own office, it would be impractical and unrealistic to bring a
change of clothes to work. My hours are such that if I don't pray at work,
my salat will become qaza. Should I pray at work with my dry-cleaned
clothes or come home and pray with a qaza niyaa?

------------------------

ANSWER:

Unless you are certain that the clothing is Najis, there is no restriction
in praying in them just because they have been dry-cleaned. If the clothing
has been made Najis, dry-cleaning will not purify them. If that is the case,
the simplest solution would be to have another set of clothing at work to
substitute at the time of prayer.

Agha Seestani says: "When only Najis clothing is available, if it is not
possible to remove (the Najasah) due to coldness or something similar,
pray in (the Najis clothing) without objection and the Qadhaa is not obligatory... the recommended precaution is to combine the prayer in (the
Najis clothing) with the prayer naked."

Of course, this ruling is based on the idea that you can pray naked without
anyone seeing you or pray after removing the Najis clothing. Of course,
this would be difficult at one's workplace.

Ali Rasheed

Back: ['Aalim Network QR] Doubts on missed fasts
Forward: ['Aalim Network QR] Du`a for Concentration