[Subject] [Date] [Moderator] Home

['Aalim Network QR] Food Ingredients-Levels of Doubt/Certainty

The reply to the following question was kindly provided by Shaykh Muhawesh.

Salaamu alaykum.

Could you please answer my question according to the ruling of A.
Seestani.

It is known that if you only suspect that something is najis you may
assume it is taahir and investigation into the matter is not required.
However is there a limit to the applicability of this rule?  For example
if you buy an article of food, say a choclate bar, can you apply the above
principle even though the ingredients of the chocolate bar are written
upon it's wrapper?  To shorten the question, would looking at the
ingredients on a food wrapper, for example, be considered as unnessecary
investigation?

Jazaakallah. wa salaam.

-----------------

ANSWER:

Wa-alaikum as-salam,

The key here is the word "suspect". To what degree is that
suspicion valid!. There are several degrees in Figh of suspicion:

1. Wahm (Delusion): That is when you are approximately %25 sure of something
but %75 sure that it is not so. Wahm has no weight in Islam and no judgment
can be based on it.

2. Shak (Doubt): When you are approx. %50 sure of something and %50
sure it is not so.

Shak is disregarded in Islam.

3. Dhan (Most likely/probable): When you are more sure that
something is true but less sure that it is not so.  Say %70 sure
but %30 not sure.  Dhan is regarded as a basis of a judgment.

4. Itminan (Sureness): When you are so sure of something that you
are confident it is true. However, there is a small chance it is
not true. Itminan is a solid
basis for a judgment.

5. Yaqeen (Certainty): When you are 100% sure of something. Is is
an indisputable basis for judgment.

Based on the above, if you have shak or wahm [about the presence of
an ingredient], then you do not have to read the ingredients and if you did
then it is unnecessary investigation.

However, if you have dhan then you should read the ingredients.

But if you have Itminan or yaqeen, then it is haram for you to eat the
product unless you read the ingredients and you find out that it does not
contain any haram ingredients.

Allah knows best.

Odeh A. Muhawesh

Back: ['Aalim Network QR] Food in Restaurants
Forward: ['Aalim Network QR] Food of Ismailis/Hindus