[Subject] [Date] [Moderator] Home

['Aalim Network QR] Nazr (Vows)

	The reply to the following question was kindly provided by Shaykh
Muhawesh.

Salam Alaikum,

What is the concept of Manath (Nazr) in Islam?

Indians as I know do Manath (Nazr) on special occasions like they would
make an intention or promise that they will do so and so good dead if one
of their jayaz (allowed ) prayer is answered.

For example:

  If my business grows I will celebrate the birthday of Fatima (A.S)
  inviting people to listen to her virtues and her life.

  I will feed the poor if I get a promotion.

  Is this a widely common practice among Shia all over? Is it O.K.?

  Some people who have not been absorbing hijab do a promise that they
  will start observing hijab once such and such prayer is answered.

  I have seen 2 people starting wearing hijab after their prayers were
  answered ?

Thank you for all your help. May Allah keep you all in good health for all
the good work you all do. Amin.

-----------------------

ANSWER:

Wa-alaikum as-salam,

Nazr is permitted, rather mustahab in Islam. It is a very widely used
practice among all Muslims except for wahabis. Nazr is referenced in the
Qur'an in several occasions [for example],

   They perform (their) vows, and they fear a Day whose evil flies far and
   wide. [Sura al-Insan (76), verse 7]

The underlying condition is that Nazr should be for useful matters only.
It is not allowed to do Nazr for prohibited matters or acts.

As for women who make Nazr to wear hijab, they should know that they have
not accomplished any extra thing because hijab is wajib from the
beginning. Their Nazr should be to do extra deeds after adhering to
wearing Hijab.

In sha Allah this is clear.

Allah knows best.

Best Regards
Odeh A. Muhawesh

Back: ['Aalim Network QR] Natural Stimulants
Forward: ['Aalim Network QR] Nicotine Patch