[Subject] [Date] [Moderator] Home

['Aalim Network QR] Ashura Day

Salaam Alaikum

The following was kindly provided by Mulla Bashir.

wa salaam

We know that the Ashura-day is sad because Yezid's army killed Imam Hussain
(as) (the master of the paradise's youths) on this day. But Sunni brothers
consider this day as happy day, and  they fast it, and they say on Ashura,
Allah has saved Moses (as) and they give many ahadeeth regarding this.
Please give more details about Ashura day (itself), and the Prophet (s) a
hadith regarding this day.

---------------
ANSWER:

Yes sources do exist about ahadeeth that the 10th of Muharram was regarded
in the early days as an auspicious day. Whatever the origin of these
ahadeeth, the 10th of Muharram 61 AH turned that day into the day of mourning.
Subsequently Banu Umayya as well as the later Sunni regimes did attempt to
re-establish the Ashura Day as an auspicious day as a means of diverting
attention from the tragedy of Kerbala, but the grief  and the tears flowing
from the eyes of the lovers of Holy Prophet has firmly established the day
as a day of mourning. Our jurists have held that fasting is not permitted on that day.

In this context you will no doubt be aware that our 7th Holy Imam was born in
the month of Safar but because we continue to mourn Imam Hussain then, we
celebrate the birth of the 7th Imam in the month of Rajab.

With salaams and du'aas from a humble servant of Ahlul Bayt and their
followers, and with a request to be remembered by you in your prayers,

Bashir Rahim

Back: ['Aalim Network QR] Arrangement of Qur'an
Forward: ['Aalim Network QR] Assisted Pregnancy