[Subject] [Date] [Moderator] Home

['Aalim Network QR] Interest (Riba') - Definition

	The reply to the following question was kindly provided by Shaykh
Muhawesh.

Wasalaam,

Mustafa Rawji,
'Aalim Network

"In the Name of Allah, the Compassionate, the All-Merciful Greeting of
Allah be upon Muhammad and the pure members of his House"

Assalamu 'Alaykum

My question is what is the definiton of Riba (interest)?

----------

ANSWER:

Wa-alaikum as-salam,

Reba comes from an Arabic word that means to grow. Islamically, it means
to exchange like subject with the condition of an increase in the subject
upon it's return. For example, let's say that you came to me and said that
you needed to borrow a pound of sugar. If I made it a condition that you
return the sugar to me as a pound and a half of sugar then it is Reba. Two
conditions made it Reba:

1. The fact that I made it a condition to give me more.

2. The fact that it was of the like subject that I asked for more of the
same subject:

So if I asked you for a pound & a half of rice in return then it is not
Reba even though the pound of sugar might be worth only a pound of rice.

It is important to note that if you accepted willingly to give me back a
pound & a half of sugar then it is Reba, but if you accepted because you
had no other choice but your intent was not to give me back the  pound if
you could get away with it then it is Reba, but you did not fall into
haram (Reba on me but not you).

Furthermore, if I did not make it a condition on you to give me back more
sugar but you as a matter of appreciation decided to give me back more
sugar, then that is not only not Reba but also it is Mustahab
(recommended) to do so.

In Sha Allah this helps.

Allah knows best

Best Regards

Odeh A. Muhawesh

Back: ['Aalim Network QR] Inter-faith marriage
Forward: ['Aalim Network QR] Interest on Credit Cards and Loans