At the beginning of this sura, an indirect reference is made to the night of Qadr. This was the first time Muslims were told about Laylatul Qadr. The only other mention of Laylatul Qadr in the Qur'an is in Sura alQadr, which has a direct reference to the holy night. Thus both surahs are recommended for recitation on the night of Qadr.
The first six ayaat discuss the holy night, and its blessings. The Sura also ends with a mention of the Qur'an as a reminder for the people.
In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful.
1. Ha Meem.
2. By the clear Book.
3. Surely We sent it down on a blessed night, surely We have (always) been warning.
4. Therein every wise affair is made distinct.
5. An order from Us, indeed We are the senders.
6. A mercy from Your Lord; surely He is the allHearing, the allKnowing.
7. Lord of the heavens and the earth, and what is between them, if you have faith.
8. There is no god but He; He gives life and causes death; your Lord and the Lord of your fathers of before.
9. Nay, they are playing in doubt.
10. Therefore be on the watch for the day when the heaven shall bring a smoke clearly visible.
11. Covering the people, this is a painful punishment.
12. (They will say) Our Lord, remove from us the punishment; surely we are believers.
Sura adDukhan The Smoke
The sura derives its name from ayat no.10 which warns of a clearly visible smoke descending on the unbelievers. Some commentators believe it refers to the smoke which will envelop the world before the day of Judgement, and which will be especially painful for the unbelievers.
There is great reward for reciting this sura in obligatory and recommended prayers.
13. How shall they be reminded, when a Messenger making clear (the truth) already came to them?
14. But they turned their backs on him, and said: he is taught (by others), a madman.
15. Surely We will remove the punishment a little, but certainly you will return (to evil).
16.The day We shall seize them with a great seizure, surely We will retribute them.
17. And We tried before them the people of Firaun, and there came to them a noble Prophet.
18. Saying: Deliver to me the servants of Allah; indeed I am a trusted Messenger to you.
19. And exalt not yourselves over Allah; I come to you with a clear authority.
20. And I take refuge with my Lord and your Lord that you stone me (to death).
21. If you do not believe me, then leave me alone.
22. Then he called upon his Lord: These are a guilty people.
23. (He was commanded saying) Go forth with My servants by night, certainly you will be followed.
24. Leave the sea calm; they are a host that shall be drowned.
25. How many have they left, of gardens and fountains!
26. And cornfields, and noble places!
27. And blessings in which they took delight!
28. Thus (was it), and We gave them as heritage to another people.
29. So the heaven and the earth did not weep for them, nor were they respited.
30. We delivered the children of Israel from a degrading affliction.
31. From Firaun, he was haughty, and from those who are extravagant.
32. Certainly We chose them, having knowledge, over the nations.
33. We gave them of the signs, wherein was a clear trial.
34. Surely these (people) say:
35. There is nothing except our first death, and we shall not be raised again.
36. Bring (back) our fathers, if you are truthful.
37. Are they better, or the people of Tubba, and those before them? We destroyed them, for surely they were guilty.
38. We created not the heavens and the earth, and what is between them, in sport.
39. We created them not but with the truth, but most of them do not know.
40. Surely the day of separation, is an appointed term for all of them.
41. The day when a friend shall not be of use to a friend, nor shall they be helped.
42. Except those on whom Allah shall have mercy; Indeed He is the Mighty, the Merciful.
43. Certainly, the tree of Zaqqum.
44. Shall be the food of the sinners.
45. Like molten brass, shall boil in the bellies.
46. Like the boiling of hot water.
47. (It will be said) take him, then drag him down into the middle of Hell.
48. Then pour on his head the torment of the boiling water.
49. (It will besaid) Taste; surely you were (thought yourself to be) the mighty, the honorable.
50. This is what you disputed about.
51. Indeed the pious ones will be in a safe place.
52. In gardens and springs.
53. They shall wear silk and brocade, (sitting) face to face.
54. So shall it be; and We will unite them with wideeyed houris.
55. They shall call therein for every kind of fruit, in security.
56. They shall not taste death therein except the first death, and He will save them from the punishment of Hell.
57. A grace from your Lord; that is a mighty achievement.
58. We have made it (the Qur'an) easy on your tongue, that they may be reminded.
59. So wait, they (too) are waiting.