April 8, 1997 Tuesday 11:36:22 v1.1|
October 24, 1996 Thursday 15:32:4 v1.0 Beta
Setup is easy. Once you have uncompressed the package into a given directory. you will need to copy the sample DateWiz.INI file into your topmost Windows directory (this may be called c:\Windows or Win95 or WinNT, ..etc. on your system.)
The application program DateWiz.EXE can be located anywhere in your system. However, if you wish that it automatically loads when the system is restarted, place the file in the StartUp folder (directory). The directory may be called "\Windows\Start Menu" where a link can be created and deposited there.
The Islamic calendar is Lunar based, while the Christian calendar is Solar based. The program uses the system date and converts it to an Islamic date. Both dates are used to search the data file for matching records. The records are stored in the DateWiz.INI file, which can be viewed by double clicking on its icon or opening it with NotePad. I stronly suggest that you use the application to update the file, since several fields are updated when a record is saved.
The date conversion algorithm is based on Waleed A. Muhanna's conversion routines, which tend to be more accurate for relatively near dates. Nevertheless, the beginning of Islamic months are based on the visual citing of the crescent, which may not coincide with calculations.
If two dates are matched, i.e. Hijri and Christian reminders, both will be shown in the reminder dialog. For example if you have set an entry for February 1st and 23 of Ramadhan for two separate events, when these two days coninside (i.e. in 1997) you will get one notification with both messages.
Editing The Reminders
1. First select the Calendar system to use by choosing one of the two Radio Buttons.
2. Then identify the date by selecting a month from the ListBox and entering a day and year. The year is not stored in the database, but it is used to calculate the date conversion on the display.
3. Click the View button to see if there is any reminder text for that date already. You may append to the existing text by entering new information from the keyboard, or use the Past command to bring it from another document.
4. Select a preferable time to be reminded on that day, if you don't like the defaults.
5. Press the Add button to write the record into the database.
To delete an entry, enter a the date and press view. Then press the delete button.
Bug Reports and Comments
Please send your comments to me (Shaun Astarabadi) at this email address: email@example.com. You will also find this address in the About menu.
This application is "Freeware". You may use it as you may find fit.
DateWiz is Copyright (c) 1996-1997 by Shaun Astarabadi
Permission for nonprofit use and redistribution of this software and its documentation is hereby granted without fee, provided that the above copyright notice appear in all copies and that both that copyright notice and this permission notice appear in supporting documentation.
No representation is made about the suitability of this software for any purpose. It is provided "as is" without express or implied warranty.
Send any comments/suggestions/fixes/additions to: