Shaykh Dr Zaid Alsalami is an Iraqi born scholar, raised in Australia. He obtained a BA from Al-Mustafa University, Qom, and an MA from the Islamic College in London. He also obtained a PhD from ANU, Canberra. He has written and translated several Islamic texts and also prepared educational videos on Islamic rulings and practices.
The concept of taqleed is indeed something important to look into, and although it sounds complex it is pretty straight forward.
1. Read about this topic from reliable sources, and educate yourself about the basics of taqleed.
2. Consult with a reputable qualified scholar about the selecting of a Marja'.
3. It should not take more than a few minutes for you to make the intention and follow the correct criteria for following a Marja' taqleed.
4. Do not complicate things by politicising your choice, or being influenced by hearsay, or looking for an "easy" Marja'.
5. Stick with mainstream, and do not be diverted to other ways.