1. Mu'awiyah Bin Abi Sofyan announced the year of the treaty between him and Imam Hasan (AS) as The Year of Jama'ah عام الجماعة.
2. Mu'awiyah ordered all his people to include cursing Abu Turab (Ali (AS)) in every Khutbah of Friday and Eid. This practice continued for generations till the government of Umar Bin Abdul Aziz, the Umayyad king .
3. When Umar Bin Abdul Aziz , ordered to remove this curse from the Khutba, many people objected on his order and shouted : Where is the Sunnah? Thinking that it is part of the Sunnah.
4. The term of Ahlul Sunnah was used by followers of Ahmad Bin Hanbal, the founder of Hanbali sect who was supported by Al-Mutawakkil Al-Abbasi, the Abbaside king, against Ahlul Bayt (AS). Ahlul Sunnah was also used against the followers of Abu Hanifah who was accused by Hanbalis to be away from the Sunnah. The Hanbalis used to call Abu hanifah followers as (Ahlul Ra'e) while themselves as Ahlul Sunnah.
5. We do not find in any Sunni book of Hadeeth including he six main book of Hadeeth called (Al-Sihah or Al-Kotob Al-Sittah including Al-Bukhari , Muslim, Tirmithi , Ibn Maajah, Abi Dawood) any mention of Ahul Sunnah.
6. This term of Ahlul Sunnah was used mainly by governments opposing Ahlul Bayt(AS) to claim that they are following the Sunnah which means that other Muslims (Shia Muslims) are not following The Sunnah.
7. We have authentic narration from Imam Mohammad Al--Baqir (AS) stating: By Allah, No one is following the Sunnah and the unity of the Ummah but us and our followers.
والله ليس على السنة والجماعة أحد إلا نحن وشيعتنا.