Signs of Zuhur
We have such narrations in Ghaibat al-No'mani (Page 268) narrated from Imam Al-Baqir (AS) and similar narration from Imam Jafar Al-Sadiq (AS) in Al-Irshad by Al-Mufeed (V. 2 , Page 279) and al-Ghaibah by Shaikh al-Tousi , P.473.
The calculation of the year according to Ahlul Bayt (AS) is not necessarily the same calculation of the people.
1. ALLAHUMMA 'AJJIL LIWALIYYAK ALFARAJ WA 'AFIYATA WANNASR WANSSUR NASIREEH WAKHTHUL KHAATHILEEH.
2. ALLAHUMMA SALLI 'ALA MUHAMMAD WA AALI MUHAMMAD WA 'AJJIL FARAJAHUM.
3. ALLAHUMMA KUNLIWALIYYAKAL HUJJAT IBN AL HASAN FI HATHIHISSAA'AH WA FI KULL SA'AH, WALIYYAN WA HAAFIDHAN WA QAA'DAN WA NAASSIRAN WA DALEELAN WA 'AYNA HATTAA TOSKINAHU ARDHAKA TAW'A WA TOMATTI'AHI FEEHA TAWEELA.
4. DUA AL-'AHD.
5. ZIYARAT AALI YASEEN WHICH STARTS WITH : SALAAMUN 'ALA AALI YASEEN.
This is a good question and one that doesn't have a clear answer.
One would assume that it would happen using modern weaponry (whatever that happens to be at the time), and there are some narrations suggesting the Dajjal might have some sort of modern machinery, and some of the signs of end times seem (God forbid) similar to the results of modern warfare. From this angle, the word "swords" in narrations could be taken as a figure of speech to represent weaponry.
However, it is also entirely possible that, at that time, something will have happened to make modern technology unworkable. (Some people have suggested a magnetic pole shift; one could also consider a massive solar flare, or really anything that would result in the destruction of the means of production or use of such items such as an environmental crisis.) This would also be concordant with the general description of chaos preceding the arrival of the Mahdi (A).
So, basically, there is no clear evidence either way; it is one of those things which we will have to wait and see. Of course the important thing is to be on the side of the Imam (A), regardless of what kind of technology is available.
There are many minor signs before the re appearance of Imam Al-Mahdi (AS) mentioned in many books, but no one can claim timing or expectations for any of the major signs because the major signs are definite signs before the Re appearance which is not known to any one except Allah (SWT).
There are many narrations in Sunni books about the Sun rising from the
west as a sign of the Day of Judgment as it is narrated in Sahih
Bukhari (vol. 5 pg. 195 and also vol. 7 pg. 191) and in Shahih
Muslim (vol. 1 pg. 95). The narrations says that after that incident,
the repentance will not be accepted.
In our Shia books of Hadeeth, we also have many narrations that the
rising of the Sun from the west will take place but not as s sign of
the Day of Judgment. In Kitab al-Irshad by Shaikh Mufeed (pg. 358)
narrated from Abi Hamzah al-Thimali saying : “I asked Abu Ja’far
al-Baqir (AS) : “Is the coming of Sufyani definite?” He (AS) said
“Yes. And the huge sound from the sky and the rising of the Sun from
the west and the dispute between Bani Al Abbas and the killing of
al-Nafs al-Zakiyah and the coming back of Imam al-Mahdi (ATFS) are all
Imam Al Mahdi (ATFS) will come to establish peace and justice all over
the world. He will not fight with people and will never endanger the
life of anyone except those who fight against him. Our responsibility
is to prepare ourselves to be strong practicing believers. Our real
strength depends on th degree of our Imaan (Faith).
The secret of the strength of Imam Ali (AS) is his greatest degree of
humbleness to Allah (SWT) which is next only to the greatness of the
Holy Prophet (SAWA). And when we are unable to know the greatness of
the Holy Prophet (SAWA) and Imam Ali (AS) because of our limited
abilities of understanding, there is no question for us to understand
the secret of his extra-ordinary strength and power but only to say
that it is linked with his great humbleness and faith in Allah SWT).
We need to obey the orders of Imam Al-Mahdi (AS) which will be very clear and will reach to all the people all over the world. Imam (AS) will order the believers what they should do and where.
Many signs have been related signifying the reappearance of Imam Mahdi (A). Some of these signs are considered more fixed than others, and some of these narrations are considered more correct than others. In any case, the underlying theme is that the natural and political order of the world will be turned upside down, there will be chaos beforehand, and when he arises, it will be clear with no doubt. (Therefore, people who go on TV or online today and say they are the Mahdi are not really the Mahdi since they are not accompanied by signs.)
Some of the signs are:
* The rise of the Sufyani
* A solar eclipse the middle of the month of Ramadan and a lunar eclipse at the end of Ramadan
* Some of the land being swallowed up
* The sun rising from the west
* Black flags marching from Khurasan
* The killing of the "pure soul" and the killing of a Hashemite near the Ka'bah
* A star as bright as the moon
* A fire in the sky
* The Euphrates flooding into Kufa
* False prophets
* The revolt of the Yamani
* The people of Egypt will kill their ruler and destroy Syria, and three standards will fight over it.
* Locuts at the usual and not usual times destroying the food
* Two groups of foreigners will dispute and much blood will be shed
* A cry from the sky that all will hear
* A face in the sun.
There are a number of books on Imam Mahdi (A) including on this website and you can read more signs there.
1. The definite signs of the Day of Judgement did not happen yet.
2. Dajjal is not apparent yet.
No doubt, Islam being the only remaining intact message from Allah, will overcome all other religions.
This fact is mentioned in Quran in many verses like
1. Sura Al-Tawbah, verse 33:
33. It is He Who has sent His Messenger (Muhammad with guidance and the religion of Truth (Islâm), to make it superior over all religions even though the polytheists, pagans, idolaters, disbelievers in the Oneness of Allâh) hate (it).
[Al-Tawba, Aya: 33]
2. Sura Al- Fath, verse 28.
28. He it is Who has sent His Messenger (Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم) with guidance and the religion of truth (Islâm), that He may make it (Islâm) superior to all religions. And All-Sufficient is Allâh as a Witness.
[Al-Fath, Aya: 28]
and Sura Al-SAFF, verse 9.
In today's World, the figures published by the United Nations and other specialized organizations state that Islam is the fastest growing religion in the whole world. This is a sign of increasing success of Islam. Real Islam of Ahlul Bayt (AS) is progressing more than other sects as you can find the increasing numbers of scholars who have admitted and accepted the fact that the real Islam is the Islam of Ahlul Bayt (AS). Hundreds of books have been written by scholars who left their previous sects and embraced the Shia Islam after discovering the facts through research which revealed authentic evidence. (www.aqaed.com has has hundreds of such books and articles) .
The Hadeeth says: When a person dies, his Qiyamah starts.
إذا مات آبن آدم قامت
We read in Sura Al- Waqi’a how every one who dies , faces immediately the consequences of his faith and deeds. This is the start of Qiyamah which is very close to us and it can come to us any minute by death.
Signs of the final Day of Judgement are mentioned in many Hadeeths but it will not come before the establishment of the world state of justice under the leadership of Imam Al-Mahdi ( AS) as Allah (SWT) has promised in Quran ( ولقد كتبنا في الزبور من بعد الذكر أن الأرض يرثها عبادي الصالحون) ( We have ordained in Zabur after the Thikr ( Book) that the whole earth will be inherited by our Pious Servants) Sura Al-Anbiyaa’, Verse 105.