1. This Salat becomes Wajib when some natural event happens causing fear, such as abnormal yellow and black wind, thunderbolts etc.
2. It also becomes Wajib when there is an earthquake, a solar or a lunar eclipse2, total or partial, causing fear or not.
How to perform Salatul-Ayat3
Salatul-Ayat consists of two Rak’ahs, like Salatus-Subh, with the difference that in Salatus-Subh we do one Ruku in each Rak’ah, while in Salatul-Ayat we have five Rukus in each Rak’ah. So, this Salat consists of two Rak’ahs with ten Rukus, to be performed as follows:
1. We make the Niyyah, the Takbiratul-Ihram, recite SuratulFatihah and a Surah, and we go to the Ruku.
2. We return to Qiyam, recite Al-Fatihah and a Surah, and go to the Ruku.
3. We return to Qiyam for the third time and recite Al-Fatihah, and a Surah, then we go to the Ruku.
4. We stand up for the fourth time, recite Al-Fatihah, and a Surah, then we go to the Ruku.
5. We stand up for the fifth time, recite Al-Fatihah, and a Surah, and it is Mustahabb to do the Qunut here, then we go to the Ruku.
6. After raising our heads from the fifth Ruku we go down to perform the two Sajdahs, then we stand up, recite and repeat the five Rak’ahs as before, it is also Mustahabb to do the Qunut before the fifth Ruku. Then we go down, make the two Sajdahs, then recite the Tashahhud and finish by the Raslim.
Ther are certain rules concerning this Salat which must be observed in order to carry out our duties as best as we can.
1. All the conditions required for the daily Salats are to be observed here, such as Taharah, orientation towards the Qiblah, etc.
2. The time assigned for performing the Salat because of the lunar or solar eclipse staits with begining of the eclipse till its end.
3. For the Salatul-Ayat to become Wajib, the natural event must happen in the country of the Mukallaf. If it happens in another country, the Salat would not be Wajib upon him.
4. As regarding the natural incidents, such as earthquakes, thunderbolts, storms, etc., of which we are not informed until they are finished, like when an earthquake takes place while we are asleep and we know nothing about the event, the Qada of Salatul-Ayat is to be performed, after being informed about it.
5. In cases of the lunar and solar eclipses, of which we are not informed until they are over, if they were total eclipses, the Salatul-Qada would be Wajib upon us, but it would not be Wajib if the eclipses were partial.
Q1. Explain what your religious duty would be in the following cases:
a. If it was broadcast that an earthquake had happened in a foreign country, would it be Wajib upon you to perform Salatul-Ayat or not?
b. When you witness a partial solar eclipse in your country.
c. A total lunar eclipse takes place in your country, but you learn about it the next day.
Q2. Compare between Salatus-Subh and Salatul-Ayat.
Q3. Is it necessary to be Tahir and to face the Qiblah in Salatul-Ayat?
- 1. Our respected brother teachers are requested 10 demonstrate this Salat to the students.
- 2. The Hanafis, the Shafi'is, the Malikis, and the Hanbalis say that the eclipse Salat is a recommended tradition, not Wajib.
- 3. It has no specific form in the opinion of the Hanafis, except that it is two Rak'ahs, each with a single Qiyam and a single Ruku, and one may perfonn two, four or more Rak'ahs. According to the Hanbalis, the Shafi'is and the Malikis, it is two Rak’ahs; each Rak'ah has two Qiyams and two Rukus. In the first Rak'ah, the Musalli should say first the Takbir, recite the Al-Fatihah and a Surah, then do the Ruku, and the Qiyam, recite Al-Fatihah and a Surah, do the Ruku and the Sujud, then stand for the second Rak'ah to do or repeat the same acts and recitation as he did in the first.