Quadriliteral Verbs with Increase Letters
29. How many types of quadriliteral verbs are there?
30. Does the quadriliteral verb have a pattern like the triliteral verb?
31. What is a singular quadriliteral verb?
32. What is a quadriliteral verb with increase letters?
33. How many forms does a quadriliteral verb with one increase letter have?
34. How many forms does a quadriliteral verb with two increase letters have?
35. How many forms of quadriliteral verbs with increase letters are there?
36. Are all the forms of quadriliteral verbs with increase letters applied to all quadrilteral verbs?
29. There are two types of quadriliteral verbs:
• Regular: when there aren't any doubled letters in its root. For example: دَحرَجَ (he rolled)
• Double-lettered: when the first and third root letters are identical as well as the second and fourth. For example زَلزَلَ (it quaked)
30. The pattern for the quadriliteral verb is فعلل. The first letter is called the first root letter, then the second root letter, then the third root letter then the fourth root letter.
31. A single quadriliteral verb is a qaudriliteral verb that does not have any increase letters. For example: دَحرَجَ (he rolled)
32. A quadriliteral verb with increase letters is a quadriliteral verb that has one or two letters added to its root.
33. There is one form of a quadriliteral verb with one increase letter:
• تَفَعلَلَ This is form II. Here a tā' is added to the root. For example: تَدَحرَجَ (he rolled down)
34. There are two forms of a quadriliteral verb with two increase letters:
• اِفعَنلَلَ This is form III. Here a glottal stop and a nūn are added. For example اِحرَنجَمَ (translate)
• اِفعَلَلَّ This is form IV. Here a glottal stop is added and the fourth root letter is doubled. For example: اِقشَعَرَّ (he shivered)
35. There are three forms of quadriliteral verbs with increase letters.1
36. No, to know which forms are applied to which verbs one must refer to dictionaries. For example forms III and IV forms are not applied to the verb دَحرَجَ.
- 1. Mentioned in this book, for there are more.