Muslims, as a whole, were raised for the welfare of human beings. They might not afraid of the Jews. The strength of the Jews shall be a failure. Muslims should not take the Jews as friends.
كُنتُمْ خَيْرَ أُمَّةٍ أُخْرِجَتْ لِلنَّاسِ تَأْمُرُونَ بِالْمَعْرُوفِ وَتَنْهَوْنَ عَنِ الْمُنكَرِ وَتُؤْمِنُونَ بِاللّهِ وَلَوْ آمَنَ أَهْلُ الْكِتَابِ لَكَانَ خَيْرًا لَّهُم مِّنْهُمُ الْمُؤْمِنُونَ وَأَكْثَرُهُمُ الْفَاسِقُونَ
110. "You are the best nations brought forth for (the benefit of) mankind. You enjoin what is right and forbid the wrong and believe in Allah; and if the People of the Book had believed, it would surely have been better for them. Some of them are believers while most of them are transgressors."
In this holy verse, again it has returned to the proposition of 'enjoining the right and forbidding the wrong' and also 'belief in Allah' when it says:
It is interesting that the reason of being the best nations for Muslims is stated the fulfilment of 'enjoining the right and forbidding the wrong' and' belief in Allah'. This shows that the improvement of human society, without belief in Allah and not being accompanied with invitation to the Truth and struggling against corruption, is impossible.
Besides that, the accomplishment of these two obligatory duties guarantees the spread of belief and the execution of all personal and social rules, while the surety of execution is verbally prior to the law itself.
Then it points out that the benefits of a religion which is so clear and the ordinances which are so magnificent are deniable for none. Therefore, if the People of the Book (the Jews and the Christians) do believe, it is of their own gain.
But, unfortunately, only a minority of them have recalcitrated the foolish bigotries and have embraced Islam eagerly, when the majority of the People of the Book have disobeyed the command of Allah.
لَن يَضُرُّوكُمْ إِلاَّ أَذًى وَإِن يُقَاتِلُوكُمْ يُوَلُّوكُمُ الأَدُبَارَ ثُمَّ لاَ يُنصَرُونَ
111. "They shall never harm you except for annoyance; and if they fight with you, they shall turn their back to you, then they shall not be helped."
This verse is both a prediction and a glad tidings and consolation for the Muslims. It tells them that under the shade of belief, union, and enjoining the right, they are insured. Therefore, they would not be afraid of the threats of the enemy, because the enemy is insignificant and the victory is of the Muslims'.
1. The school of Islam and the Muslims themselves are insured in the shade of Faith.
2. The opponents of Muslims may attain only a small part of their molesting projects.
3. He who is faithless, is in lack of the spirit of perseverance.
ضُرِبَتْ عَلَيْهِمُ الذِّلَّةُ أَيْنَ مَا ثُقِفُواْ إِلاَّ بِحَبْلٍ مِّنْ اللّهِ وَحَبْلٍ مِّنَ النَّاسِ وَبَآؤُوا بِغَضَبٍ مِّنَ اللّهِ وَضُرِبَتْ عَلَيْهِمُ الْمَسْكَنَةُ ذَلِكَ بِأَنَّهُمْ كَانُواْ يَكْفُرُونَ بِآيَاتِ اللّهِ وَيَقْتُلُونَ الأَنبِيَاء بِغَيْرِ حَقٍّ ذَلِكَ بِمَا عَصَوا وَّكَانُواْ يَعْتَدُونَ
112. "Abasement has been branded on them, wherever they are found, unless (they cling to) the cord of Allah and the cord of men; so, they have incurred wrath from Allah; and wretchedness has been stumped upon them. That is because they went on rejecting Allah's Signs and slaying the prophets unjustly. That was because they disobeyed, and went on transgressing."
The result of disbelief and slaying prophets is being encountered with abasement and wretchedness in this world and the wrath of Allah in the coming world. Sin and transgression is a preparation for greater sins, like infidelity and slaying the prophets.
It is worthy to note that what is worse than transgression and disbelief is the continuation and persistence of the act of disbelief and transgression.
The Jews are always abased, although sometimes they take the cord of propagation, economics and policy, yet they are in the lowest position from the point of honesty, honour, amiability and security. The example of them is like the cruel persons who are armed and create alarm and terror in order to obtain masses of wealth, but they can never attain a high honourable rank. .
1. The secret of honour is two things: The inwardly Faith in the Power of Allah, and outwardly communication with communities and nations.
So, each of them singly is imperfect. When there is Faith but accompanied with isolation and retreat with people, we can do nothing. And, when we are in contact with all people, but there is not Faith from inside, we are helpless, too.
2. Maybe, the repetition of the word 'cord' is the key to the fact that these two cords are not alike.
3. Islamic literatures denote that the Jews did not mostly slay the prophets with swords themselves, but they reported the prophets' mysteries and information to the enemies and, as a result of it, the cruel forces could capture the prophets and slay them.
لَيْسُواْ سَوَاء مِّنْ أَهْلِ الْكِتَابِ أُمَّةٌ قَآئِمَةٌ يَتْلُونَ آيَاتِ اللّهِ آنَاء اللَّيْلِ وَهُمْ يَسْجُدُونَ
113. "Yet, they are not all alike: of the People of the Book is a group upright (in faith). They recite the verses of Allah in the night time while they prostrate themselves (in adoration)."
Following to the scorns and hard blames that the former verses had against the Jews, in this verse, to observe the justice and respecting the rights of eligible persons, and that all of them cannot be considered alike, it says:
Another quality that they have, is that they usually recite the revelations of Allah during the night. It says:
And, at the conclusion of the verse, it refers to their humbleness, where it says:
يُؤْمِنُونَ بِاللّهِ وَالْيَوْمِ الآخِرِ وَيَأْمُرُونَ بِالْمَعْرُوفِ وَيَنْهَوْنَ عَنِ الْمُنكَرِ وَيُسَارِعُونَ فِي الْخَيْرَاتِ وَأُوْلَـئِكَ مِنَ الصَّالِحِينَ
114. "They believe in Allah and the last Day; and they enjoin what is right and forbid the wrong, and hasten to do good deeds, and these are of the righteous ones."
In this verse, it adds that: some of the People of the Book, besides recitation of the verses of Allah and prostration, believe in Allah and in the Resurrection Day. It says:
They furnish the proposition of enjoining the right and forbidding the wrong as their duty-
Another quality of them is that, in doing good, they take precedence of each other. It says:
And, finally, they are such that it says:
وَمَا يَفْعَلُواْ مِنْ خَيْرٍ فَلَن يُكْفَرُوْهُ وَاللّهُ عَلِيمٌ بِالْمُتَّقِينَ
115. "And whatever good they do, they will never be denied the reward of it; and Allah knows the pious ones."
In the insight of Allah, nothing will ever be wasted. It says:
In the Qur'an we recite:
That is, the condition of the acceptance of deeds is Faith and piety. In this regard, here the verse denotes and Allah says that We ourselves know who the pious ones, whose deeds should be accepted, are:
إِنَّ الَّذِينَ كَفَرُواْ لَن تُغْنِيَ عَنْهُمْ أَمْوَالُهُمْ وَلاَ أَوْلاَدُهُم مِّنَ اللّهِ شَيْئًا وَأُوْلَـئِكَ أَصْحَابُ النَّارِ هُمْ فِيهَا خَالِدُونَ
116. "(As for) those who disbelieve, surely neither their possession nor their children shall avail them in the least against Allah, and they are the inhabitants of the Five; wherein shall they abide forever."
The Qur'an has repeatedly announced that for the disbelievers neither wealth, nor progeny, nor family members, nor spouse, nor apology, nor friends, nor master, nor any thing else is of the slightest effectuality for the wrath of Allah (s.w.t.).
مَثَلُ مَا يُنفِقُونَ فِي هِـذِهِ الْحَيَاةِ الدُّنْيَا كَمَثَلِ رِيحٍ فِيهَا صِرٌّ أَصَابَتْ حَرْثَ قَوْمٍ ظَلَمُواْ أَنفُسَهُمْ فَأَهْلَكَتْهُ وَمَا ظَلَمَهُمُ اللّهُ وَلَـكِنْ أَنفُسَهُمْ يَظْلِمُونَ
117. " The likeness of what they (disbelievers) spend in this life of the world is as the likeness of a wind wherein is intense cold which strikes the tilth of a people, who have wronged themselves, and destroys it. Allah has not been unjust to them, but they are unjust to themselves."
The Arabic term /sirr/ has been applied in the sense of: 'excessive cold that scorches plants'. The attractive point in this verse is that in view of Allah mere opinion and stimulus are not effective in affairs.
That is why the verse indicates that you may not be worried about the money the disbelievers spend in a false way, because the fruit of it is like a tilth that can easily be abolished by a cold wind.
From the beginning of Islam up to now, there have been many plots, accusations, invasions, wars, and evil propagations done against Islam and Muslims, but every day the religion of Allah have developed more than before.
When a nation faces with the wrath of Allah, it is not an injustice from the side of Allah, but it is a reflection of their own deeds that they themselves have performed.
يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُواْ لاَ تَتَّخِذُواْ بِطَانَةً مِّن دُونِكُمْ لاَ يَأْلُونَكُمْ خَبَالاً وَدُّواْ مَا عَنِتُّمْ قَدْ بَدَتِ الْبَغْضَاء مِنْ أَفْوَاهِهِمْ وَمَا تُخْفِي صُدُورُهُمْ أَكْبَرُ قَدْ بَيَّنَّا لَكُمُ الآيَاتِ إِن كُنتُمْ تَعْقِلُونَ
118. "O' you who have Faith! Do not take intimate other than yourselves. They do not fall short in corrupting you. They like what distresses you. Hatred has already appeared from (the utterance of) their mouths while what their breasts conceal is greater. We have made the Signs clear for you if you ponder."
Following to the verses stated the kind of relations the Muslims may have with the disbelievers, this verse points at one of the most sensitive subjects, and, in the form of a delicate resemblance, it warns the believers. It says:
It is never such that their experience of friendship with you hinders them to desire pain and loss for you because of difference in religion and creed. In the contrary, they are interested in your distress and suffering.
They are usually careful of their statements and behaviour in order that you do not be cognizant of their interior mysteries and that their secrets would not be uncovered. They speak carefully and cautiously, yet the signs of enmity are manifest from among their speech.
In short, by this means, Allah has shown the way of recognition of the inward state of the enemies; and informs us from their hidden minds and their interior mysteries. It says:
Then, it adds:
هَاأَنتُمْ أُوْلاء تُحِبُّونَهُمْ وَلاَ يُحِبُّونَكُمْ وَتُؤْمِنُونَ بِالْكِتَابِ كُلِّهِ وَإِذَا لَقُوكُمْ قَالُواْ آمَنَّا وَإِذَا خَلَوْاْ عَضُّواْ عَلَيْكُمُ الأَنَامِلَ مِنَ الْغَيْظِ قُلْ مُوتُواْ بِغَيْظِكُمْ إِنَّ اللّهَ عَلِيمٌ بِذَاتِ الصُّدُورِ
119. "Here you are, loving them while they do not love you! Though you believe in all Books and when they meet you, they say: 'We believe', but when they are alone, they bite the ends of their fingers in rage against you. Say: 'Die in your rage!' Surely Allah is aware of what is in the breasts."
In this verse it addresses the Muslims and says that you love them because of relationship or neighbourliness, or for other reasons, neglecting the fact that they do not like you. It is in the case that you believe in all the Books that have been sent down by Allah (irrespective of your own Book and the heavenly Book of theirs), but they do not believe in the revealed Book you have.
Then, the Qur'an introduces the real feature of this group of the People of the Book, who are hypocrites, when it says:
It says to the Prophet to tell them that they would die with the rage that they have and this grief will be with them until the day of their death-
You were not aware of their condition, but Allah is, because:
إِن تَمْسَسْكُمْ حَسَنَةٌ تَسُؤْهُمْ وَإِن تُصِبْكُمْ سَيِّئَةٌ يَفْرَحُواْ بِهَا وَإِن تَصْبِرُواْ وَتَتَّقُواْ لاَ يَضُرُّكُمْ كَيْدُهُمْ شَيْئًا إِنَّ اللّهَ بِمَا يَعْمَلُونَ مُحِيطٌ
120. "If any good befalls you, it grieves them; and if an evil afflicts you, they delight in it; but if you are patient and be pious, their plotting will not harm you in any way; surely Allah encompasses what they do."
In this verse one of the signs of their grudge and enmity is stated. It indicates that if a victory or a happy incident comes forth for you, those groups of the People of the Book will become inconvenient, but if an evil incident happens against you, they will become happy,
But if you persevere against their hostilities and, in the meantime, you observe piety and patience, they cannot harm you by their treacherous plans, because Allah quitely encompasses whatever they do.
- 1. Surah Al-Maidah, no 5, verse 27