Chapter 7: Delivery
1. Recite Surat al-Insĥiqāq after Ŝalāt in the 9th month. When labour pains start, recite this, and if it is not possible to recite it with your tongue, recite it in your head.
2. Drink saffron syrup during labour to ease the pain (not before as it may lead to miscarriage).
3. At the time a woman thinks labour pains are going to begin, take a warm (not hot) shower.
4. At the time of labour, have pleasant smelling things around you and breath with your mouth open.
5. Do not eat large quantities of food, but eat good quality and high energy food, and stay away from foods that cause constipation.
6. Recite the recommended Du°ās for delivery.2
7. Ibn °Abbās has related that to write the names of the Aŝĥāb al-Kahf (Companions of the Cave) down and tying these names around the left thigh of a woman going through a difficult labour is recommended.3
Their names are:
مكسلمينا مليخا مكسينا مرطوس يوانس
اريطانس اونوس كيد سططيوس قطمير
In another tradition, it is narrated that their names are:
مكسكمينا تمليخا رطيونس ينبونس
سازيونس كشيططونس قطميرزبان تنور
8. Do not wear nylon, as this prevents sunrays reaching the body, and therefore a lack of Vitamin B and a more difficult delivery.
9. One of the reasons of difficult labour for many women is fear and lack of preparation. Therefore, it is recommended that you prepare in advance for labour, mentally and physically.
Reading and becoming familiar with what will occur helps tremendously in reducing fear.
10. Recommended exercises also help in reducing labour pains.4