The Human Being
The human being-الْمَرْء والرجل
1. A person is in the position where he places his soul through his devotion and obedience, so if he purifies it, it becomes pure and if he sullies it, it becomes sullied.
1ـ اَلْمَرْءُ حَيْثُ وَضَعَ نَفْسَهُ بِرِياضَتِهِ وطاعَتِهِ، فَإنْ نَزَهَها تَنَزَّهَتْ، وإنْ دَنَسَها تَدَنَّسَتْ.
2. A person is in the position that he chooses for his soul. If he preserves it, it becomes elevated and if he does not preserve it, it becomes abased.
2ـ اَلرَّجُلُ حَيْثُ اخْتارَ لِنَفْسِهِ إنْ صانَها اِرْتَفَعَتْ، وَإنِ ابْتَذَلَها اِتَّضَعَتْ.
3. A person is [gauged] by his two small parts: his heart and his tongue. If he battles, he fights with his heart and if he speaks, he speaks by his articulation.
3ـ اَلْمَرْءُ بِأصْغَرَيْهِ: بِقَلْبِهِ، ولِسانِهِ، إنْ قاتَلَ قاتَلَ بِجَنان، وإنْ نَطَقَ نَطَقَ بِبَيان.
4. The human being changes in three instances: when he is close to kings, when he gains positions of authority and when he becomes wealthy. So whoever does not change in these conditions, then he is one who possesses a strong intellect and an upright character.
4ـ اَلْمَرْءُ يَتَغَيَّرُ في ثَلاث: اَلقُرْبُ مِنَ المُلُوكِ، والوِلاياتُ، والغَناءُ مِنَ الفَقْرِ، فَمَنْ لَمْ يَتَغَيَّرْ في هذِهِ فَهُوَ ذُو عَقْل قَويم، وخُلْق مُسْتَقيم.
5. A man is [to be gauged] by his astuteness not by his appearance.
5ـ اَلْمَرْءُ بِفِطْنَتِهِ لابِصُورَتِهِ.
6. A person is [valued] by his endeavour [and effort], not by his [material] acquisition.
6ـ اَلْمَرْءُ بِهِمَّتِهِ لابِقُنْيَتِهِ.
7. A man is [gauged] by his endeavour.
7ـ اَلْمَرْءُ بِهِمَّتِهِ.
8. A person is [judged] by [what is in] his heart.
8ـ اَلرَّجُلُ بِجَنانِهِ.
9. A person is [gauged] by his faith.
9ـ اَلْمَرْءُ بِإيمانِهِ.
10. The distinction of a man is [by] his wealth but his honour is [by] his religion.
10ـ حَسَبُ الرَّجُلِ مالُهُ، وكَرَمُهُ دينُهُ.
11. The distinction of a man is his intellect and his magnanimity is [by] his [good] character.
11ـ حَسَبُ الرَّجُلِ عَقْلُهُ، ومُرُوءَتُهُ خُلْقُهُ.
12. The distinction of a person is [by] his knowledge and his beauty is his intellect.
12ـ حَسَبُ المَرْءِ عِلْمُهُ، وجَمالُهُ عَقْلُهُ.
13. The evidence of a person’s roots is his action.
13ـ دَليلُ أصْلِ المَرْءِ فِعْلُهُ.
14. The value of every person [gauged by] is what he knows.
14ـ قيمَةُ كُلِّ امْرِء ما يَعْلَمُ.
15. The value of every person is his intellect.
15ـ قيمَةُ كُلِّ امْرِء عَقْلُهُ.
16. A person’s worth is based on the extent of his merit.
16ـ قَدْرُ المَرْءِ عَلى قَدْرِ فَضْلِهِ.
17. The worth of every person is [measured by] that which he does well.
17ـ قَدْرُ كُلِّ امْرِء ما يُحْسِنُهُ.
18. Every person has a need (or for every affair there is [a proper] etiquette).
18 ـ لِكُلِّ امْرِء (أمْر أدَبٌ) أرَبٌ.
19. The good and evil of every person, and the purity or impurity of his origin is evinced by what he manifests of his actions.
19ـ يُسْتَدَلُّ عَلى خَيْرِ كُلِّ امْرِء، وشَرِّهِ، وطَهارَةِ أصْلِهِ وخُبْثِهِ، بِما يَظْهَرُ مِنْ أفْعالِهِ.
20. When the virtues of a man are more than his vices, then that [person] is ideal, and when his virtues and vices are equal then he has protected himself [from destruction], but if his vices are more than his virtues then he is doomed.
20ـ إذا كانَتْ مَحاسِنُ الرَّجُلِ أكْثَرَ مِنْ مَساويهِ فَذلِكَ الكامِلُ،وَ إذا كانَ مُتَساوِيَ المَحاسِنِ والمَساوي فَذلِكَ المُتَماسِكُ، وإنْ زادَتْ مَساويهِ عَلى مَحاسِنِهِ فَذلِكَ الْهالِكُ.
21. The evil man does not think positively about anyone because he does not see anyone but through the depiction of his own soul.
21ـ اَلرَّجُلُ السُّوءُ لايَظُنُّ بِأحَد خَيْراً، لأنَّهُ لايَراهُ إلاّ بِوَصْفِ نَفْسِهِ.
22. The worst person is he who sells his religion for the worldly life of others.
22ـ بِئْسَ الرَّجُلُ مَنْ باعَ دينَهُ بِدُنْيا غَيْرِهِ.
23. At times people are deceived.
23ـ قَدْ تُخْدَعُ الرِّجالُ.
24. A person is weighed by his speech and valued by his action, so say that which is weighty and do that which has great value.
24ـ اَلمَرْءُ يُوزَنُ بِقَوْلِهِ، ويُقَوَّمُ بِفِعْلِهِ، فَقُلْ ما تَرَجَّحَ زِنَتُهُ، وافْعَلْ ما تَجِلُّ قيمَتُهُ.
25. A person’s value is indicated by his knowledge and intellect.
25ـ يُنْبِيُ عَنْ قيمَةِ كُلِّ امْرِي عِلْمُهُ وعَقْلُهُ.
26. Every person is answerable for what is in his possession and his family.
26ـ كُلُّ امْرِء مَسْؤُلٌ عَمّا مَلَكَتْ يَمينُهُ وعِيالِهِ.