Status and worth-القَدْر
1. One who does not know his worth, transgresses his limits.
1ـ مَنْ جَهِلَ قَدْرَهُ عَدا طَوْرَهُ.
2. One who remains within his rank [and does not overstep his limits] is honoured by the people.
2 ـ مَنْ وَقَفَ عِنْدَ قَدْرِهِ أكْرَمَهُ النّاسُ.
3. One who oversteps his limits is humiliated by the people.
3ـ مَنْ تَعَدّى حَدَّهُ أهانَهُ النّاسُ.
4. One who is ignorant about the place where he steps is made to stumble by the reasons of his regret.
4ـ مَنْ جَهِلَ مَوْضِعَ قَدَمِهِ عَثُرَ بِدَواعِي نَدَمِهِ.
5. One who limits himself to his [rightful] status, it will be more lasting for him.
5ـ مَنِ اقْتَصَرَ عَلى قَدْرِهِ كانَ أبْقى لَهُ.
6. One who is ignorant of his own worth does not know anyone’s worth.
6ـ مَنْ جَهِلَ قَدْرَهُ جَهِلَ كُلَّ قَدْر.
7. One who knows his worth is not disparaged among the people.
7ـ مَنْ عَرَفَ قَدْرَهُ لَمْ يُضَعْ بَيْنَ النّاسِ.
8. He who knows his worth does not get ruined.
8ـ ما هَلَكَ مَنْ عَرَفَ قَدْرَهُ.
9. He who oversteps his limits has not used his intellect.
9ـ ما عَقَلَ مَنْ عَدا طَوْرَهُ.
10. How good it is for a servant to know his status and not to overstep his limits!
10ـ نِعِمّا لِلْعَبْدِ أنْ يَعْرِفَ قَدْرَهُ، ولايَتَجاوَزَ حَدَّهُ.
11. Ruined is the one who does not know his status.
11ـ هَلَكَ مَنْ لَمْ يَعْرِفْ قَدْرَهُ.
12. Do not do that which will degrade your status.
12ـ لاتَفْعَلْ ما يَضَعُ قَدْرَكَ.
13. There is no ignorance greater than transgressing [beyond] one’s status.
13ـ لاجَهْلَ أعْظَمُ مِنْ تَعَدِّي القَدْرِ.
14. One who transgresses his limits and his status has no intelligence.
14ـ لاعَقْلَ لِمَنْ يَتَجاوَزُ حَدَّهُ وَقَدْرَهُ.
15. May Allah have mercy on the one who knows his status and does not overstep his limits.
15ـ رَحِمَ اللّهُ امْرَءً عَرَفَ قَدْرَهُ،وَ لَمْ يَتَعَدَّ طَوْرَهُ.
16. Do not rush to [occupy] the highest place in a gathering, for indeed the position that you are raised to is better than the position that you are lowered from.
16ـ لاتُسْرِعَنَّ إلى أرْفَعِ مَوْضِع فِي المَجْلِسِ، فَإنَّ المَوْضِعَ الَّذي تُرْفَعُ إلَيْهِ خَيْرٌ مِنَ المَوْضِعِ الَّذي تُحَطُّ عَنْهُ.