In his Kitab al-gharibayn, under "thaql". A leading scholar and philologist.
In his Mustadrak (iii, 109, 174) through a sahih chain of transmission from Zayd ibn Arqam. There he also narrates it through another chain. He was the leading traditionist of his age (imam almuhiddithin). 1
In his book Sharaf al-nubuwwah, as mentioned in Shihab al-Din al-Dawlatabadi (Manaqib al-sadat). One of the leading scholars. 2
In al-Bayhaqi (Sunan, vii, 30) from him, from Zayd ibn Arqam. Ta’dil by al-Dhahabi. 3
In his al-Mughni (xx, 191, 136). An eminent scholar and Shafi’i legist.
In al-Khatib al-Baghdadi (Talkhis al-mutashabih fi al-rasm, MS. in Dar al-Kutub al-Zahiriyyah, F. 30) from him, from al-Tabarani, from Abu Sa’id al-Khudri. One of the eminent scholars of the 5th/11th century and al-Khatib's teacher.
In his tafsir (al-Kashf wa al-bayan, MS.). One of the leading scholars of the Qur'an, a legist, grammarian, philologist and writer. 4
In his Manqabat al-Mutahharin, with several chains and in different wordings from Abu Sa’id, Zayd ibn Arqam, Anas ibn Malik, al-Bara' ibn ‘Azib and Jubayr ibn Mut’am. Also in his Hilyat al-awliya', as mentioned by al-Samhudi (Jawahir al-’iqdayn) from Hudhayfah ibn Usayd. One of the great traditionists. 5
In his al-Ta'rikh al-Yamini. An eminent historian and man of letters. 6
In Akhtab Khwarazm (Maqtal al-Husayn ‘alayhi al-salam, i, 104). Tawthiq by al-Sam’ani. 7
In Ibn al-Asakir in the Mu’jam of his shuyukh (F. 11), from Ibn al-’Iraqi, from him, from al-Hakim al-Nishaburi. One of the eminent scholars of 5th century.
In al-Khwarazmi (al-Manaqib, 93) from him. A leading traditionist, legist and writer. 8
In Ibn al-Maghazili (al-Manaqib) from him. A scholar of known standing.
As mentioned by Shah Wali Allah in Izalat al-khifa. One of the leading scholars. 9
In his al-Muttafaq wa al-muftaraq from Jabir, as mentioned by al-Badakhshani. One of the great scholars; traditionist and historian. 10
In Ibn ‘Asakir (Ta'rikh Dimashq, ii, 45). Tawthiq by al-Khatib and Ibn al-Jawzi. 11
Ibn ‘Asakir, Mu’jam shuyukhih. A leading scholar (imam). 12
In Ibn al-Maghazili (al-Manaqib, 235) from him, from Abu Sa’id al-Khudri. Tawthiq by al-Sam’ani. 13
In his al-Manaqib through various chains. A leading scholar.
In al-Jam’ bayn al-Sahihayn, from Zayd ibn Arqam. Tawthiq by Ibn Khallikan, al-Dhahabi, Ibn Makula, al-Salmasi and al-Safadi. 14
In ‘Uyun al-akhbar.
In his al-Risalat al-qawwamiyyah, from Abu Sa’id al-Khudri. A leading scholar of his age. 15
- 1. Tadhkirat al-huffaz, iii, 93; Wafayat al-a`yan, iii, 408; al-Mukhtasar, ii, 144; Mir'at al-jinan, iii, 14; al-Ibar, iii, 91; al-Subhi, Tabaqat al-Shafi`iyyah, iv, 155.
- 2. Tabaqat al-Shafi`iyyah, v, 222.
- 3. Al-Ibar, iv, 118.
- 4. Tabaqat al-Shafi`iyyah, i, 429; iv, 58; Wafayat al-a`yan, i, 61; al-Ibar, iii, 161; Mir'at al-jinan, iii, 46; al-Dawudi, Tabaqat al-mufassirin, i, 65.
- 5. Tadhkirat al-huffaz, iii, 1091; al-Wafi bi al-Wafayat, vii, 81; al-Taj al-mukallal, 31.
- 6. Yatimat al-dahr, iv, 397.
- 7. Al-Ansab under 'al-Ganjrudi'.
- 8. Tadhkirat al-huffaz, iii, 1132.
- 9. Al-Dhahabi, Siyar a`lam al-nubala', MS.
- 10. Tadhkirat al-huffaz, iii, 1135.
- 11. Ta'rikh Baghdad, iii, 108; al-Muntazam, vii, 283.
- 12. Al-Ansab under 'al-Dawudi'.
- 13. Al-Ansab under 'al-Ghandajani'.
- 14. Wafayat al-a`yan, ii, 410; Tadhkirat al-huffaz, iv, 1218; al-Waffi bi al-Wafayat, iv, 317.
- 15. Wafayat al-a`yan, ii, 380.