They may say again that Christ is God or the "Son of God" because he healed the sick and raised the dead and lived a life that was more miraculous than anyone else. The answer is that this is a normal and ordinary way of many righteous people in the history of the world. According to the Bible and the Holy Qur'an, there were many people who lived miraculous lives and showed many wonders and signs by the power of the Almighty God, the Creator of all things.
Recently, a preacher from "The Church of Christ" was preaching on television about the divinity of Jesus Christ, and then he allegedly said that "the miraculous life of Jesus prove the fact that he was God". This preacher and the likes of him in Christendom believe that the miracles of Christ are proofs of his divinity.
But this cannot be accepted at all as both the Bible and the Qur'an attributed many miracles to the Prophets and righteous men; yet they have never been regarded as God even though some of them had shown greater miracles in their lives. For instance John the Baptist on whom Jesus said: "…among those born of Woman, hath no risen one greater than John the Baptist.." Matthew. 11:11.
Yet we notice that he did not perform any miracle. Yes, he was great but he did not perform any miracle, and thus the miracle is not a measurement or a proof of the greatness or divinity of a person, as assumed by Christians. Now, let us learn about those miracles performed by the Prophets and righteous servants of God.
The Christians proudly speak about Jesus and his raising of Lazarus from the dead but according to the same Bible the Prophet Ezekiel raised a huge army which consisted of thousands of people from the dead, while before that they were rotten bones in the valley. Thus he started his mission of raising the dead by saying: "…So I prophesized as He has commanded me, and the breath came into them, and they lived, and stood up upon their feet, an exceeding great army, then He said unto me, son of man, these bones are the whole house of Israel…" Ezekiel. 37:1-12.1
Jesus Christ is no exception in this respect. All miracles performed by him were with the support and the power of the almighty Allah, the creator of all things. The Bible acknowledges this fact saying: "…ye men of Israel, hear these words, Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know…"Acts. 2:22.
And so all who were healed by Jesus, and other miracles and signs shown by him in particular the miracle of Lazarus who was raised back to life by Christ - were done by the power of the Father, the almighty God, the creator of all things.
Thus, Allah supported Jesus with that amazing miracle. The Bible states this fact by saying:
"…and Jesus lifted up his eyes, and said, father, I thank thee that thou hast sent me, and I knew that thou hearest me always! But because of the people which stand by I said it, that they may believe that thou hast sent me. And when he thus had spoken, he cried with a loud voice, Lazarus, come forth. and he that was dead came forth…Jesus said unto them, loose him and let him, go…" John. II: 41- 44.2
Thus, Lazarus was raised back to life by of Jesus not independently but by the power and the Divine support of Almighty Allah. This reality about the miracles of Jesus Christ is exactly what the Holy Qur'an has explained nearly 1,400 years ago by saying:
"... And (Allah) will make him (Jesus) a messenger to the Children of Israel, and (he will say) 1 have come to you with a sign from your Lord. See! 1 fashion for you out of a clay the likeness of a bird, and I breathe into it and suddenly it is a bird by Allah's leave. I heal him who was born blind and the leper, and I raise the dead by Allah's leave..." (Holy Qur’an, 3:48-49)
In Chapter 5 of the Holy Qur'an, Allah, the Almighty reminded Jesus Christ of the bounties which He had bestowed on him saying:
"... When Allah says: O Jesus, son of Mary! Remember My favor to you and to your mother, how I strengthened you with the Holy Spirit so that you speak to mankind while you are in the cradle as in adulthood, ... and how you shaped of clay the likeness of a bird by My permission, and blew upon it and it was a bird by My permission, and you healed him who was born blind and the leper by My permission; ..." (Holy Qur’an, 5:110)3
The Bible reports that, Elisha the Prophet performed miracles in his life; among these miracles was his conversion of "one pot of oil into hundreds of gallons of cooking oil". These gallons of oil, which came as a result of such miracles, enabled a woman to save her sons from being taken as slave by a creditor:
"…And Elisha said unto her, what shall I do for thee? She said, thine handmaid hath not anything in the house, save a pot of oil…Then he (Elisha) said, go borrow thee vessels abroad of all thy neighbors, even empty vessels; borrow not a few….And it came to pass when the vessels were full, that she said unto her son, bring me yet a vessels and he said unto her, there is not a vessel more. And the oil stayed… And he (Elisha) said, go sell the oil, and pay thy debt, and live thou and thy children of the rest…" 2 Kings. 3:6-7.4
Now, it is the turn of Joshua. The Bible narrates that Joshua also performed a great wonder when he stopped the sun from setting and the moon from its rotation and both of these heavenly bodies obeyed the commands of Joshua. If Christians speak about those demons who obeyed Jesus Christ, here we have the sun and the moon obeying the order given to them by Joshua.
"…. Then spake Joshua to the Lord in the day when the Lord delivered up the Amorites before the children of Israel, and he said in the sight of Israel, Sun stand thou still upon Gibeon; and thou, Moon, in the Valley of Aj'alon. And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day…" Joshua. 10:12-13.
Long before I started reading the Qur'an and the Bible, I believed that it was only God that could stop the movement of the sun, moon or any other heavenly bodies, but here we are told that these luminary objects obeyed the commands of Joshua, the Prophet. Of course that had been done by the power of the Almighty God.
The miracle of Joshua to stop the sun and the moon from their natural courses and movement is the greatest miracle and sign but still this man is not considered to be son of God nor is he considered to be God. What happens to the Christian theologians here? Why do they not consider Joshua to be the "son of God" after the performance of such great miracles?
Both the Bible and the Qur'an speak about the miraculous life of Moses, but regardless of this, we are told that Moses was neither God nor the son of God. The following is the Biblical testimony concerning the miraculous life of Moses:
(1) "…And the Lord did according to the word of Moses; and He removed the swarms of flies from Pharaoh, from his servants, and from his people; there remained not one" Exodus. 8:31.
(2) “…And they took (Moses and Aaron) ashes of the furnace, and stood before Pharaoh; and Moses. sprinkled it up toward heaven; and it became a boil breaking forth with blains upon man, and upon beast. And the magicians could not stand before Moses because of the boils; for the boil was upon the magicians, and upon all the Egyptians …” Exodus. 9:10-11.
(3) "…And Moses stretched forth his rod toward heaven: and the Lord sent thunder and hail, and the fire ran along upon the ground; and the Lord rained hail upon the Land of Egypt…" Exodus. 9:23.
(4) "…And Moses stretched forth his rod over the land of Egypt, and the Lord brought an east wind upon the land all that day, and all that night; and when it was morning, the east wind brought the locusts ..." Exodus. 10:13.
(5) "…And Moses stretched forth his hand toward heaven; and there was a thick darkness in all the land of Egypt three days ..." Exodus. 10:22.
(6) "…And Moses stretched out his hand over the sea; and the Lord caused the Sea to go back by a strong east wind all that night, and made the sea dry land, and the waters were divided…" Exodus. 14:21.
In the continuation of the miraculous life of the men of God, the Bible reveals unto us how Na-a-man, the leper was healed miraculously by Elisha the Prophet, therefore, the healing of the lepers by Jesus Christ was similar to the healing of the lepers by Elisha, the Prophet. Elisha, the Prophet healed Na-a man, the leper who was the captain of the host of the King of Syria.
The Bible in this regard says: "…And Elisha sent a messenger unto him, saying, Go and wash in Jordan (river) seven times, and thy flesh shalt come again to thee, and thou shall be clean. Then went he down, and dipped himself seven times in Jordan, according to the saying of the man of God: and his flesh came again like unto the flesh of a little child, and he was clean…" 2 Kings. 5:10,14.
The same Elisha, the Prophet, using the mantle of Elijah caused the splitting of the water in the Jordanian river and hence he crossed and continued his journey. The Bible says: "…And he took the mantle of Elijah that fell from him, and smote the waters, and said. Where is the Lord, God of Elijah? And when he also had smitten the waters, they parted hither and thither; and Elisha went over. And when the sons of the Prophets, which were to view at Jericho, saw him, they said, the spirit of Elijah doth rest on Elisha. And they came to meet him, and bowed themselves to the ground before him...'' 2 Kings. 2:14-15.5
According to the Bible, Sha'drach, Me'shach, and Abed'nego were three righteous men during the time of unjust King Neb-u-chad-nez'-zar, King of Babylon. The Bible describes how these three righteous men had escaped death miraculously when they were thrown in the burning furnace with their hands tied with ropes for three days by the order of King Neb-u-chad-nez'zar.
Indeed this is a great miracle, the story has been described as follows: "…And he commanded the most mighty men that were in his army to bind Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, and to cast them into the burning fiery furnace ...And the princes, governors, and captains, and the King's counsellors, being gathered together, saw these men, upon whose bodies the fire had no power, nor was an hair of their head singed, neither were their coats changed, nor the smell of fire had passed on them..." Daniel. 3:20-27.
If we have to examine this great miracle whereby the three righteous men were saved from the fire we could conclude that, Allah, the Creator is always there for the protection of the righteous people. This miracle is great indeed, yet I do not hear any Christian scholar admitting that Shadrach, Me'shach and Abednego are the sons of God after having shown this great sign and wonder; but they are silent with this great miracle of God which had manifested unto these holy men.
The Christians will say that Jesus Christ has the power to heal all kinds of illnesses. I personally, do not have any problem with this concept of healing especially when attributed to Jesus Christ, a man approved by God with miracles and wonders.
What I am trying to explain is that, the healing power of Jesus does not make him God or the Son of God as believed by the Christians who normally say: "Jesus is the Only begotten Son of God, begotten not made". This concept can be easily disproved as we have seen that there are many Prophets and righteous men who have performed great signs and wonders in their lives, including healing of people, etc.
Jesus Christ had never claimed to have done anything on his own but always attributed whatever he had done to his Father who had sent him. Therefore in this regard, he is neither unique nor different from other Prophets and righteous men who performed miracles and wonders. Jesus Christ said about the nature of himself that: "… I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me…" John. 5:30.
Serpents bit many during the time of Moses; Moses then made a snake from brass and as soon as those who were bitten and harmed by the poisonous serpents looked at the copper serpents of Moses, they were healed immediately.
The scripture says: "… And the Lord said unto Moses, Make thee a fiery serpent, and set it upon a pole: and it shall come to pass, that every one that is bitten, when he looketh upon it, shall live. And Moses made a serpent of brass, and put it upon a pole, and it came to pass, that if a serpent had bitten any man, when he beheld the serpent of brass, he lived..." Numbers. 21:8-9.6
Thus as, the Jews experienced the healing power and its blessing from many righteous servants of God such as Moses, Elisha, Elijah, Aaron, Daniel, Ezekiel, Abraham, Hezekiah and many others long before the advent of Jesus Christ, the healing power of Jesus Christ was not new for them; they knew about the healing of the whole family by Abraham as the scripture says; "…So Abraham prayed unto God: and God healed Abimelech, and his wife and his maid servants; and they bare children. For the Lord had fast closed up all the wombs of the house of Abimelech, because of Sarah Abraham's wife…" Gen. 20:17-18.
The Jews as we have said knew all of these healing events of the past; as it will be monotonous to mention all healing events which took place long before Jesus Christ in this booklet, here finally, is Prophet Hezekiah exercising his healing power as the scripture says: "…And the Lord hearkened to Hezekiah, and healed the people. And the children of Israel that were present at Jerusalem kept the feast of unleavened bread seven days with great gladness: and the Levites, and the priests praised the Lord day by day, singing with loud instruments unto the Lord…" 2 Chronicles. 30:20-21.7
In fact, there is only One God and His real name is Allah. He is the Creator of everything and He alone deserves to be worshipped. Muslims do not worship Jesus Christ. For Muslims, Jesus was a man created by Allah and sent as a Prophet to the Jews and the Israelites.
The Holy Qur'an says: "...Say: He is Allah, the One and Only; Allah, the Eternal, Absolute; He begetteth not, nor is He begotten; and there is none like unto Him" (Holy Qur’an, 112: 1-4)
The Bible confirms the fact that Allah neither begets nor was he begotten, who cannot change and that none is like unto Him when it says:
“…that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he; before me, there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me…” Isaiah. 43:10.
“…to whom then, will ye liken God? or what likeness will ye compare unto Him...?” Isaiah. 40:18.
“…For I am the Lord, I change not…” Malachi. 3:6.8
It should be borne in mind that linguistically, the phrase "the son of God" used in the Bible so many times in its Aramaic and Hebrew religious culture does not maintain the same meaning if used in the European ancient pagan religious culture; this is because, the Jews in their religious culture accepted and believed only in the One God who is the Creator of the heavens, the earth and all things; and so for them the term "Son of God" will only mean "a righteous servant of God" and no more than that.9
The word son of God here symbolizes the righteousness, piety and closeness to God and thus, all who are righteous servants of God and pious men are entitled to be called "the sons and daughters of the Almighty God...". But as for the European pagan religious culture, they believed in multiple gods and goddess.
For them gods carried different names, these gods were born by mothers and some of them had sons and daughters and eventually died and were buried and sometimes these gods incarnated to each other.
The belief that Christ is a Son of God is just a verbal utterance of the monks and priests but as a matter of fact, it has no evidence or proof from any divinely inspired scripture. The following evidences from the Bible should serve to prove the fact that all righteous men and women and all humanity are considered to be the children of the Most 'High God, the Creator of the heavens and the earth..."
Adam, according to the Bible was a son of God, the Bible says: "…the son of Enos, the son of Seth, the son of Adam, the son of God..." Luke. 3:38.
The Bible testifies that both Israel and Ephraim are the two sons of the Almighty God, the Creator of all things, it says: "…For I am a Father to Israel and Ephraim is My first-born.." Jeremiah. 31:9.
Israel was called the "Son of God" and so he was, the Bible says: "And thou shall say unto Pharaoh; Thus saith the Lord, Israel is My son, even My first born" Exodus. 4:22.
In the Psalms, the Bible says that, God declared David as His son by saying: "…I will declare the decree, Thou art My son, this day have I begotten thee…" Psalms. 2:7.
After David was given this title by the Almighty Creator, this title was given also to his son, Solomon, about Solomon's sonship with God, the Bible says: "..He shall build an house for My name: and he shall be My son· and I will be his Father and I will establish the throne of his kingdom over Israel foreve…r" 1Chron. 22:10.
We read also in the Bible: "…You are the son of the Lord your God…" Deut. 14:1.
The Almighty God according to the Bible is the Father of all mankind, "…Father of the Fatherless ... is God..." Psalms. 68:5.
Again, the meaning of the phrase the "son of God" has also been clarified by Jesus as he attributed to the Almighty God, the Creator of all things the fatherhood of all humanity by saying to Mary Magdalene "…Touch me not, for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascended unto my Father and your Father; and to my God and your God .." John. 20:17.
How is it then, after all of these statements in the Bible and that of Jesus Christ himself and their examples given, could the Christians continue to believe that Jesus Christ was the only son or the only begotten son of God? The Bible does not even want us to call to man on earth as our father as we have only one Father and that is the Almighty God, the Creator of all things. Jesus Christ says: "…And call no man your father on earth, for you have one Father who is in Heaven…" Matthew. 23:9.
And these words of Jesus Christ which confirm that the Almighty God, the Creator of all things is the Father of all humanity have been supported by "Hosea, the Prophet" in the Old Testament. Hundreds of years before the birth of Jesus Christ, in this regard, the Bible says: "…and in the place where it was said to them, you are not my people, it shall be said to them, Sons of the living God..." Hosea. 1:10.10
The phrase "son of God" in its Aramaic and Hebrew culture is well understood. It is only when this phrase went to pagan Europe that the Europeans did not grasp its meaning as they were primitive pagans worshipping nature and luminary objects instead of worshipping the Creator of that nature and those luminary objects.
But the saying of Jesus Christ here leaves no doubt in our minds that there is no justification for regarding him (Jesus Christ) as the Son of God in an exclusive or unique sense.
To remove misconceptions from the primitive people, Jesus Christ in the New Testament referred to himself as the "Son of Man" ten times more than the "Son of God", this is why we say that, when he referred to himself as a "son of God", there is no doubt that Jesus meant the same son-ship and in the same meaning in which Adam, Israel, Ephraim, David and Solomon have been referred and acknowledged by the Scriptures which existed before him.
The Christians believes that Jesus is God or the Son of God because he claimed such Divinity and Sonship saying: "..I and the Farther are One…" John. 10:30-36, but this is not a proof or valid evidence at all as the same Jesus Christ and in the same Bible is quoted to have said; "…for my Father is Greater than I ..." John. 14:28.
The saying of Jesus Christ "…I and the Father are One..." in John. 10:30-36, was as a result of a long misunderstanding between him and the Jews (John Chapter Ten) but this misunderstanding has been clarified by Jesus himself in that very argument he had with the Jews as he explained further by showing clearly that it was only in a metaphorical sense that he called himself the "son of God" and not in the real sense of the word as the Christians allege.
The controversy started when Jesus said "...I and the Father are One.…Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him. Jesus answered them (saying); Many good works have I showed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me? The Jews answered him, saying: For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man makest thyself God. Jesus answered them (saying) Is it not written in your law, I said ye are Gods? If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken; Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?..." John. 10:30-36.11
This signifies that, the Jews in their own language and culture have used the phrase "the son of God" and "God" to those people who have been chosen by God and sent as Prophets; even Satan has been called God of this world. To give a few examples, let us go to the Bible. The scripture called the Satan as god of this world when it says: "….In Whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not…" 2 Corinthians. 4:4.
In the book of Exodus, Moses has been called god and his brother Aaron has been made his Prophet; the scripture says; "…And the Lord said unto Moses, See, I have made thee a god to Pharaoh; and Aaron thy brother shall be thy Prophet…" Exodus. 7:1.
But here, the Bible simply says that Moses was deputizing for God in the presence of Pharaoh and that Aaron in that task was made a deputy to Moses. That is the language of the Jews - they speak figuratively and metaphorically and thus their words are not to be taken literally.
This is why Jesus Christ in the above statement, debated with the same Jews linguistically, that if they believed they were gods because the word of God came to confirm that, why then was is not lawful for him to say that he was god or the son of God?
By this, Jesus did not claim to be God nor did he claim to be the son of God as it is interpreted in Christianity. If we search in the Bible, we shall see that Jesus called himself "son of man’ 83 times, but at the same time he refer himself as "son of God” only 13 times.
This is why we believe that he only claim to be the Son of God with accordance with the Biblical meaning and not in accordance to the Euro-centric Biblical concept. The true Biblical meaning of the title "Son of God" can be shown in the Bible itself when it says; "…For all who are led by the spirit of God are sons of God" Romans. 8:14. It also says; "And I will be a Father to you, and you shall be my sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty…" 2 Corinth. 6:18.
In Islam we sincerely believe that there is only One Creator, Who is Allah, the Creator of all things. No Muslim will even consider that Jesus Christ is God. There are many evidences to prove that Jesus Christ is neither God nor ‘God in human flesh’ or what is known as "God incarnate". Here we shall present to you only eight (8) evidences to prove that Jesus Christ is neither God nor was he a part of divinity:
(1) In very simple language, Jesus Christ rejected the claims of Christians who assigned divinity on him; he also taught the Jews and his disciples that he was sent by the Father, the Creator as a Prophet and not God, Jesus says; "…I can of mine own self do nothing; as I hear, I judge; and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me…" John. 5:30.
(2) Jesus Christ confessed that he did not know when would be the final hour, the coming hour of the Day of Judgment. Had he been God who had a share of divinity he would have known something about the coming hour, but he simply said; "….But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father…" Mark. 13: 32.
(3) Jesus by his own words identifies only One Good Being which is God, the Creator of this very existence, and when he was called "good" by his disciples, he quickly answered saying: “…Why callest thou me good ? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments..." Math. 19:17.12
(4) Jesus Christ theoretically and practically demonstrated the greatness of God, the Creator of all things by declaring His Divine Greatness. In this regard, Jesus said; "…Father is greater than I…" John. 14:28, and then he said; "…Father which gave them me is greater than all…" John. 10:29.13
It is Interesting enough, to see that the verse, "…For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one…" 1 John. 5:7 which is in the King James Version of the Bible and which supposedly forms a great evidence for the doctrine of Trinity to the Christians, has now been removed from the Bible, and thus, in the Revised Version of the Bible of 1952 and 1971 you cannot read therein the above verse.
Here, I would like to ask, if the Biblical reference in 1 John. 5:7 was right and accurate, then why has it been removed in the Revised Standard Version? And if that quotation was not correct, then, why the Holy Spirit did not inform the Church about it, and why did the Church have to wait about 1,900 years to receive the truth? What kind of justice is this?
(5) The Bible says; "…And immediately the spirit driveth him into the wilderness. And he was there in the wilderness forty days, tempted of Satan…" Mark. 1:12-13.It also says;"… And when the devil had ended all the temptation, he departed from him for a season…'' Luke. 4:13.14
We also know that the true God cannot be tempted by evil. Thus if Jesus Christ was tempted by Satan which is evil, then he was not God. This fact has been proved by the same Bible when it says; "…God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man. But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed …" James. 1:13-14.15
(6) We read from the Bible that Jesus Christ was baptized by John the Baptist; the act of being baptized by John is a clear indication that he was a man with shortcomings; this fact can be easily grasped when we realize that the baptism of John was for the removal of sin and repentance. the Bible agrees with this fact by saying: "...Before the beginning of his ministry, Jesus was baptized by John the Baptist…" Matthew. 3:13.
At the same time the Bible confesses that the baptism of John the Baptist "…signified the confession of sins and repentance from sins…" Matthew. 3:6 &11.
(7) The Bible gives full Divine authority to God, the Creator of all things, and on the Day of Judgment everything shall be under His command. In this regard Jesus Christ will also be subject under the full control of the Father, the Originator and the Creator of all things; this has been clearly indicated in the Bible where it says; “…And when all things shall be subdued unto Him, then shall the son also himself be subject unto Him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all...” 1 Corinthians.15:28.
The above Biblical verse is a clear indication that Jesus Christ was not God; had Jesus Christ been God, he would have never been subjected to another God's control or command as there is Only One God, the Creator of the heavens and the earth and all things therein.
(8) We read in the Bible that Jesus Christ died and gave up the ghost, thus symbolizing that he died and tasted the pain of death. The Bible states: "... And Jesus cried with a loud voice, and gave up the ghost..." Mark. 15:37. "…Christ died...." Romans. 5:6, and also"... He (Jesus) was dead …" John. 19:33.
How could it be possible for God to die and taste the pain of death? The Bible informs us also that the real and true God can never die when it says; "... For thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth Eternity, whose name is Holy…" Isaiah. 57: 15. Thus, the Bible also confirms that Jesus is not God as it is an undeniable fact that the true God can never die. This is confirmed by the following statement:
"…Who only hath immortality dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honour and power everlasting. Amen..." 1 Timothy. 6:16.
With all these evidences that Jesus is not God, it is an undeniable fact that he cannot redeem humanity of its sins. The Crucifixion is nothing but fiction in its real sense.16
Jesus Christ said; "Before Abraham was, I am" John. 8:58. Christian Biblical scholars put more emphasis on this verse to prove the divinity of Jesus as according to them Christ claimed to have been existing before Abraham. But anyone who has a little knowledge of the Bible knows that according to the Bible, this refers to that pre-human spiritual existence of Christ the, which has been also attributed to Jeremiah the Prophet.
The Bible in relation to this spiritual phenomenon is clearly indicating the possibility of the pre-spiritual existence of any human being. The Bible, on this pre-spiritual existence of Prophet Jeremiah, States: “…Then the 'word of the Lord came unto me, saying, before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations…". Jeremiah. 1:"4-5.
The above Biblical verse is a clear indication that Prophet Jeremiah had his pre-human spiritual existence as was the case with Jesus when he claimed by saying, "before Abraham was I am", and this has nothing to do with Christ's divinity. It simply analyzes that reality of pre-human existence of Christ, which is a reality with many others within this creation.
Jesus said; ''…anyone who has seen me has seen the Father…" John.14:9. We simply answer by saying that, this statement does not in any way make Jesus Christ equal to God or God himself. If that was the fact, it would be impossible for the same Jesus to contradict himself by saying, "…Father is greater than I…" John. 14:28. Had Jesus been the Father, then his above statement would make no sense as it speaks about the superiority of the Father over him which makes them two different personalities.
When Jesus said, "…I do nothing of myself…” (as in John. 5:30), he simply denied every one of the right of being equal with God, the Creator and the Father of all. And when he prayed saying, "…Father if it is possible, let this cup pass from me, yet not as I will but as thou wilt…" Matthew. 26:39, he was simply asking for help from someone else who was the Father; and thus, he was not the Father.
Jesus Christ was not God, and it cannot be possible to assume that he is God the Father by depending on his statement, which says, "anyone who has seen me has seen the Father" literally. This statement has its inner figurative sense and meaning especially when we go deeper into its context in the whole 14th chapter of the Gospel according to St. John.
In this entire chapter, Jesus is trying to convince the Jews that God is with him and that all that he was doing was indeed Gods works, and as God was being manifested in his entire life, he (Jesus) was actually an instrument used by God to reach them for their absolute guidance and salvation; and so, Jesus in that context rebuked them saying, "I have been with you so long and yet you say show us the Father?" As if he was telling them, don't you see how I do all of these miracles and wonders, and don't you know that God says, "…For there shall no man see me, and live?...” Exod. 33:20.
As Jesus wanted to prove his point which was to testify the existence of God's divine support in his mission, and the Divine manifestation of God on him, he is saying to the Jews, "look at my life and my work for they testify God's intervention in my life and mission, and thus anyone who has seen me has seen the Father for I represent none save the Father".17
The Christians claim that even the doubting Thomas, the famous disciple of Jesus Christ had recognized Jesus as God when he remarked saying, "…My Lord and my God…" John. 20:28.
Here, the Bible scholars did not really understand the situation in which Thomas was made to utter these words. In fact, Thomas did not mean to call Jesus "Lord and God" as he knew that Jesus had never taught them or claimed anywhere that he was a divine. And in order for us to understand the significance of Thomas's statement, we must go back to reading the whole 20th Chapter of the Gospel according to John and then we can draw our conclusions.
After I read the 20th Chapter of the Gospel of John and understood clearly its context, here are my final remarks:
(i) In the Biblical and Qur'anic language, people have been addressed as "Lords and Gods" but this address did not made them divine or equal to God the Father. Here is Sarah, Abraham's wife, she obeyed her husband and always addressed him with the title "My Lord", 1 Peter. 3:6, and yet he was not God. Also, the Bible had addressed and called the Jews as Gods, when it says, "…God standeth in the congregation of the mighty; He judgeth among the gods..." Psalm. 82:1. And so if Thomas had addressed Jesus with these both titles, it does not mean that he was making Jesus equal with God, but this was a respectable manner of addressing someone like Jesus as Abraham was addressed by his wife or as God the Creator had addressed the Jews.
(ii) After reading the whole Chapter of this Gospel I found also that Thomas was in great excitement by seeing his master alive after he assumed him to have been dead and buried for three days and three nights. So Thomas was expressing his astonishment by saying, "My Lord, and My God" in an exclamation mode and not in a mode of identifying Christ as the real God and the Creator..!18
The question of God coming in human form was first introduced in Christianity by Paul. This man was so clever in his ministry that he used his natural, crafty, intelligent and a deceitful manner to establish the concept of God in flesh. In fact, it was easy for him to convert the pagans into his new ministry as he claimed many beliefs similar to the ancient concepts of God incarnation and that of God in flesh. Paul confessed about his deviant ministry and his usage of deceitful intelligence in his ministry saying; "…But be it so, I did not burden you: nevertheless, being crafty, I caught you with guile..." 2 Corinthians. 12:16.
It is true that the ministry of Paul was sheltered by false craftiness and beguiling methods and his ministry had neither any authority from God nor from Jesus. Here is his own confession; “…I say again, let no man think me a fool; if otherwise, yet as a fool receive me, that I may boast myself a little. That which I speak, I speak it not after the Lord, but as it were foolishly, in this confidence of boasting...” 2 Corinthians. 11:16-17.
Thus, today when you see many rituals in Christianity which have nothing to do with God and nothing to do with Jesus Christ, this should not surprise you as the whole foundation of this religion is based on human craft, guile, and human boasting which came from the same human confidence of boasting as Paul confessed. I shall give you a little about those crafty and false rituals, which penetrated Christianity foolishly, as Paul himself admitted.
Easter was the goddess of the spring season in Roman and Greek ancient mythology; this myth of the Easter festivity is another pagan influence on Christianity.
The new converts from Greece and Rome brought their own pagan rituals and introduced them in their newly adopted religion, and so the Festival of Easter became a part of the Christian religion since that time. We have seen in the previous pages that the season of spring brings life and "resurrection" of plants from the deadly winter, which causes plants and vegetation to wither or die. Thus, the ancient sun worshippers and other pagans believed that spring was the season of resurrection and a new beginning of life.
The reawakening of the earth in Spring at the vernal equinox on March 21st - when the sun enters the sign Aries - heralds the regeneration of vegetation and the life of nature and this is why even now the festival which carries the symbol of "New life, resurrection and new beginning" still takes place in Persia and India.
As the festival of the goddess of spring "Easter" was very common thousands of years ago in Europe, Egypt and Persia, this practice and festival took its new form two thousand years ago; Jesus Christ replaced the throne of the goddess of Spring "Easter", therefore, Jesus Christ must die and rise from the dead in the same season, and so goes the story which now has become an important dogma throughout Europe, America and wherever Christianity is claimed to be a religion.19
Indeed, the Holy Qur'an spoke the truth when it says; "... the Christians imitate what the unbelievers of old used to say...." (Holy Qur’an, 9:30)
The question of the status, life and mission of Jesus Christ is a serious matter that has caused great division between Christians and Muslims. Muslims worldwide maintain their belief that Jesus Christ was no more than a messenger of Allah sent only to the Jews; Jesus did not die on the Cross, but Allah the Creator of all things saved him from the cup of death and raised Jesus to Himself. The Muslims also believe that salvation of mankind does not depend on the blood of Jesus Christ, but it depends solely on the individual's righteousness and the Grace and the Mercy of Allah, the Creator of all things.
On the other hand, Christians worldwide believe that Jesus Christ died on the Cross as God or the Son of God and was buried for three days; then he rose from the dead in the spring season as it was believed by the ancient pagans of their god, Mithra, who rose from the dead on the third day in the same spring season as you have already learned this fact in previous pages.
As for their claim about the divinity of Jesus, we have already proved that Jesus is neither God nor is he the Son of God as it is believed in Euro-centric concept of Christianity. If that was the fact, and he was a perfect human being - born of woman as he claimed - there would be no need for crucifixion and his death on the cross. This myth has nothing to offer to mankind - contrary to what is believed by the Christians, the followers of Paul and his ancient Roman mythologies.
Nevertheless, I shall try my level best here to use both the Biblical and Quranic sources at my disposal to prove that the man whom they call Jesus Christ had never been crucified by the Jews but Allah raised him up to Himself. The Muslims have many evidences both from the Holy Qur'an and from the Bible to prove that Jesus never died on the Cross.
The Holy Qur'an clearly and categorically explains this by saying:
"... That they said (in boast), 'we killed the Christ Jesus the son of Mary, the Messenger of Allah'-But they killed him not, neither did they crucify, him but confusion overtook them: (in that very day), and those who differ therein they are in clear doubt, for of a surety, they killed him not - Nay, but Allah raised him up unto Himself And Allah is Exalted in Power the Wise". (Holy Qur’an, 4:157)
We learn from the above verse of the Holy Qur’an the following important points:
(1) Jesus was a prophet and messenger of Allah who was sent to the children of Israel. Jesus was neither killed nor crucified by the Jews or the Romans.
(2) The day on which they planned to crucify Jesus Christ was filled with frightening events, e.g. there was an eclipse of the sun, earthquake and many others. As a result, people in Israel were left in confusion; they did not know whether Jesus was crucified or not, as during all of these frightening events people could not recall what was happening and so there was confusion also in the minds of those who had attempted to kill Jesus Christ.
(3) People during the lifetime of Jesus Christ did differ and have doubts on the matter of the crucifixion of Jesus Christ.
(4) Allah, the Creator of all things raised up Jesus to Himself to save him from the agony of death on the cross.
Hereunder is a broad explanation of the five points given above which have been categorically outlined by the Holy Qur'an. The following explanations will be supported by more convincing evidences to our readers:
Muslims believe that Jesus, son of Mary was no more than a prophet and great messenger of Allah, the Creator of heavens and earth. He was born in Bethlehem in the time of King Herod of the Roman Empire. His mission as a prophet started when he was a baby in the cradle.
According to the Holy Qur'an, there were many miracles in the life of Jesus Christ. Some of these miracles are as follows:
(1) The birth by a virgin, i.e. without human intervention of sex. Virgin Mary was the mother of Jesus Christ. She conceived Jesus by the power of Allah, the Almighty, the Creator of all things and in fact, hers was an "immaculate conception".
(2) According to the Holy Qur'an, Jesus Christ spoke to the Jews while in his cradle, a young baby. He spoke to them and gave them a serious and informative message from the Creator, Allah, to Whom be the Glory. While he was still a young boy playing with others, he fashioned clay as birds and then blew on them and lo! They became flying live birds in the air.
(3) Jesus, according to the Holy Qur'an healed the blind, healed the lepers and raised the dead. Jesus, also through prayer, brought down food from heaven for the Jews and his disciples.
(4) The last miracle of Jesus Christ to be mentioned here was his escape from death on the Cross as he was raised up to heaven by Allah.
The Holy Qur'an confirms the above miracles of Jesus Christ when it described the birth of Jesus. At the same time, the Jews were arguing with Mary about the status of her child, as Mary was unmarried. The Jews thought that she had had unlawful sex and thus she deserved to be stoned to death, and so they were debating with her concerning her pregnancy and the birth of her baby without a father.
The Holy Qur'an narrated the whole story to us as follows:
“At length she brought the babe to her people, carrying him (in her arms). They said: 'O Mary! Truly an amazing thing hast thou brought! 0 sister of Aaron! Thy father was not a man of evil, nor thy mother a woman unchaste!' But she pointed to the babe. They said: 'how can we talk to one who is a child in the cradle?' He said: 'I am indeed a servant of Allah; He hath given me revelation and made me a prophet; and He hath made me blessed wheresoever I hath be, and enjoined on me Prayer and Charity as long as I live; (He) hath made me kind to my mother and not overbearing or miserable; So Peace is on me the day I was born, the day that I die and the Day that shall be raised up to life (again) Such (was) Jesus the son of Mary: (it is) a statement of truth, about which they (vainly) dispute"(Holy Qur’an, 19:27-34)
Christians believe that the mission of Jesus Christ was for the whole world and for both Jews and Gentiles. This belief is wrong as it contradicts the information given in both the Bible and the Holy Qur'an. Both the Holy Qur'an and the Bible say that Jesus was sent as a messenger and a prophet for only the lost sheep of Israel and not for the whole world as assumed by modern day Christians.
The Holy Qur'an says:
"... And Jesus was the prophet to the children of Israel ... " (Holy Qur’an, 3:49)
The Bible also confirms this fact saying;"... But he (Jesus) answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel..." Matthew. 15:24.
It also says; "…These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not: But go ye rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel..." Matthew. 10:5-6.
Gentile nations are all nations of the world other than the Jews, but in Biblical days the Bible used to refer to the people of Greece, Rome, Persia, Babylon, Arabia, India and Egypt etc., as Gentiles. In another place, Jesus himself refers to the Gentiles as dogs and swine.
These dogs and swine do not deserve what is holy or bread; according to Jesus, what is holy and bread, will simply mean or apply to the revelation from God which is of course holy and spiritual food. This is why he said, “…It is not meet to take the children's bread, and cast it to dogs...” Matthew. 15:26.
Jesus here has called his message and revelation as children's bread as it came especially for those children who were the Children of Israel; due to this, he repeated his demand again saying: “…Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trampled them under their feet, and turn again and rend you...” Matthew. 7:6.20
And so Jesus Christ saw them as dogs and swine who did not deserve to be given either what is holy or the children's bread. By "what is holy" and the "children's bread “Jesus Christ refers to his Gospel as a holy divine revelation and it is spiritual food for the children of Israel. By the word "pearls", Jesus Christ was referring to the very valuable property, which is his Gospel.
We have seen how Jesus Christ forbade his disciples from preaching the Gospel to the Gentiles, which were the pagan nations of Greece, Rome, Egypt, India, Phoenicia, Babylon and Persia. In this prohibition, Jesus Christ intellectually and miraculously foretold about that adverse nature of these Gentile nations if they were to be given this holy food, the children's bread and the divine pearl.
The most important statement of Jesus Christ in this regard was "lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you" Matthew. 7:6.
Jesus did not treat the Gentiles in the manner one would expect because they were swine and dogs culturally and character wise. What is holy to them is of no value; the children's bread and the pearls, which symbolize that pure and holy spiritual food, will not be of any benefit to their unclean and uncivilized nature, which is governed by their pagan heritage, barbarism and ancient prejudices.
Thus as they were not ready for this holy message and unable to perceive of its value, Jesus Christ had prohibited his disciples from sharing these holy spiritual gifts with the Gentiles lest they trampled them under their feet due to their ignorance, and then turn again and rend the very true followers of Jesus Christ.
While the Christians are today proud to see the spread of Christianity worldwide, they are unaware of the fact that nearly all the laws and divine principles that Jesus Christ preached and taught to the Jews have been trampled under the feet of the Gentiles. The Christians, who are claiming to be the followers of Jesus Christ, are today the followers of the Gentile nations who have changed nearly everything preached by Jesus Christ into their Euro-centric economic, political and socio-cultural dimension which suit their life style.
This is exactly what Jesus had feared and knew would happen. Jesus had foreseen the distortion of his religion and this is why he had banned his disciples from preaching his Gospel to these Euro-gentile nations lest they should trample the divine laws under their feet. But unfortunately it happened. The divine laws established by Moses and strengthened by Jesus no longer have any role to play in Christianity, having been replaced by the Roman and Anglican Church and others which neither recognize the laws nor the struggle of any soul towards spirituality through the observance of the Commandments.
- 1. All of these miracles performed by the prophets as explained by both the holy Qur'an and the Bible have been done by those righteous men through the power and the divine support of Allah, the creator of the heavens and the earth. Therefore, neither Jesus nor any other Prophet has done anything from his own power. All that they performed were through the support of the almighty Allah.
- 2. The lifting up of his eyes symbolizes the humbleness of Jesus Christ in his prayers to his creator; then his saying; "Father, thank thee, that thou hast sent me" is a clear statement from him to acknowledge that he was sent by Allah as a messenger to people. His saying: “I knew that thou hearest me always" is the evidence that Jesus used to seek divine support which he got wherever he wished as the Father, the almighty creator was always in his assistance.
- 3. Note: The holy Qur'an always referred the miraculous life of Jesus Christ to be the result of divine support from God and not an independent supernatural power of Christ himself as many Christians would like to believe.
- 4. As Ezekiel did not become God or son of God by miracles, here, Elisha cannot be classified as God or the begotten son of God simply because he performed a great miracle of converting a pot of oil into several gallons of oil.
- 5. Here it does not signify that Eli-sha was a son of God because he healed the leper and caused the waters to split like that in the time of Moses with the Pharaoh. It has to be clearly understood that, all these things were done before him or through his hands and his presence because the creator, Allah was on his side and rendered him his divine support.
- 6. See how the Jews in Egypt and in Israel were so familiar with the phenomenon of healing as they have been blessed of having lived with many saints, prophets and righteous servants of Allah whom the divine creator had wrought many miracles in their lives.
- 7. These healing powers were bestowed by almighty God, the creator to many of the righteous people of the past, present and those who are to come. To have the power of performing miracles and wonders does not make you the physical son of God but would simply mean that, you are "the righteous servant of God". This is why I have said that, if the meaning of the phrase "Son of God" means "the righteous servant of God" then the Muslims worldwide will have no objection in accepting it, but if the phrase "Son of God" will mean that Jesus is "the Only begotten Son of God" or what they normally believe that this "begotten not made" then Muslims worldwide will not only reject it but would also consider it to be a blasphemy.
- 8. The above evidences are proofs that Jesus was neither God nor was he a begotten son of God as assumed or taught by the Christian church. Instead, he was a perfect, righteous and holy man whom Allah chose for his divine mission and sent him to teach and guide the Israelites.
- 9. Begetting is an animalistic behaviour and Allah is far from that ..! Therefore, it is not right to believe that God has a son literally, as the Jews worshipped their God mainly in spirit who neither begat nor was He begotten and there is none like unto him and neither does anyone resemble him.
- 10. Note: The phrase or the title "son of God" means nothing more than that "nearness to the creator" in love and in harmony with his commandments. Many times, Emmanuel (Jesus) has explained the real meaning of this phrase "son of God"; according to Jesus Christ, every man who did the will of the Father in Heaven is a son of God, but in fact, it is that devotion in spirit and commitment in life to almighty God and kind and merciful behaviour that make men and women worthy of being called "the sons of God".
This is what Muslims believe and this is what Jesus Christ had explained to us when he said:
"Love your enemies…that you may be the children of your Father which is in Heaven". Matthew. 5:44-45. "Blessed are the Peace-makers; for they shall be called the sons of God". Matthew. 5:9.
- 11. Note: Here, Jesus Christ intellectually rejected the claim that he was God by explaining his own parable unto them giving them numerous examples as in the book of Psalms which gives them (the Jews) a position of being "gods", the very verse which Jesus narrated unto them says; "I have said, you are gods; and all of you are children of the most high…" psalms. 82:6.
- 12. Had he been God, he could easily have informed his disciples as Jesus had no fear of his disciples and friends. And here, in a very positive way, Jesus again nullifies the doctrine of trinity as he had done in Mark. 13:32 where he is teaching that there is none good except one and that is God only.
- 13. Jesus Christ in his words above had not only refuted the concept of "The TRINITY" but he also disapproves it by declaring the greatness of the Father than his own self as he had also declared the greatness the Holy Spirit than of his own self when he said; " And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him, but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven·him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come" Matthew.12 32.
- 14. This devil affair he ended all his temptation, departed from Jesus for a season! It seems that the devil vowed to continue his temptation on this supposed God forever, how weak was this God and how ignorant are those who still consider him to be their creator and sustainer?
- 15. The fact that he (Jesus) was a real human being like any other man, tempted by satan with evil, and the fact that the evil cannot attempt to reach God signifies that Jesus was not God. This fact can never be denied by any intelligent being.
- 16. If Jesus was God, he could have been immortal and eternal as it has been described by the verse in the book of Isaiah and in Timothy. But the fact that he was a human, was subjected to hunger (Matthew. 21:18), pain and weeping (John.ll:35), thirst (John.19:28), slumber, sleep (Matthew. 8:24, Luke. 8:23). And according to the Bible he was also subjected to that supposedly shameful death on the cross, Allah forbids ..!!
- 17. It is impossible to see God, except to see the same God and his presence through the work of His agent. In that sense Jesus was the agent of God sent for a specific purpose and mission. We see the wind not with our naked eyes but through the signs which manifest the power of wind, i.e. the scattering of papers and the leaves of trees here and there when blown by wind, and through our daily experience of breathing the air which comes from the wind as a source and so we see God through his divine manifestation on all of his creation, and hence, he who has seen Christ as a creation and manifestation of God, eventually, has seen the Father.
- 18. People, normally when in a state of surprise and astonishment caused by different events mention the name of God. Remember that God is the first and last alternative when someone is faced with any trouble, this is why they all end up saying. O, my Lord and my God!
- 19. Ref: (a) "Pagan Christs" written by Robertson, pp 338 and (b) "The Golden Bough" written by Sir Frazier; pp 171-172.
- 20. Note: According to Jesus Christ, the Gentiles were dogs and swine; they were not dogs and swine physically but through their pagan mentality. So that while they are spiritually unclean, their whole life would fall in with their low desires, governed by their impure state of mind and spirit.