Peace be on you, O Ahl al-Bayt of the Prophet.
One day I was sitting alone and taking the account of myself and going through the register of my deeds. As much I thought upon it as much loss I found in the account of my deeds and it seemed difficult to traverse the paths of the hereafter. I told myself ‘the caravan has departed while you were asleep.
Now there is an unending desert before you. Where would you go? Whom will you ask for directions to reach your destination? And how will you survive? How can you cross empty-handed, the terrifying stages that lie ahead?’
I was engrossed in these thoughts when a ray of hope appeared. From the depths of my distressed heart a voice said: “O you that is confused in doubts, if you want to reach the banks of your aspiration, why don’t you board the Ark of Salvation? Have you forgotten that those who board it shall be saved and those who leave it, would drown?1
Why don’t you take the support of ones who are the ultimate piety and true refuge? They are the leading lights of the caravan of monotheism. They have scaled the heights of absolute guardianship.
They are the doors of God, they shall lead you to God. In the sacred court of these intercessors of the world and the hereafter, express natural love in such a way that all the obstacles on the straight path are eliminated and the way becomes clear for you, because if the chaste leaders of the caravan of guidance lead your way, you will reach the destination without fail; but if you continue without them you will never find your way.”
It had been my heartfelt desire since the past few months that I should undertake some writing work as is the habit of the scholars of religion and the wayfarers, so that I can present the fruits of my labor as a gift to those divine personalities.
Perhaps this humble gift would be accepted and this sinful one rewarded with a glance of mercy so that the luster of his heart and eyes is regained and his besmeared heart may obtain purity and his worthless being is changed into something worthwhile.
Thus I remembered that great scholar who has written authoritatively on different subjects and whose writings are sources of religious knowledge. I mean the great religious intellectual, Ustad Shaheed Murtadha Mutahhari.
As far as I knew, none of his books published so far deals with the sufferings of Ahl al-Bayt. So 1 thought, what could be better than to collect material on this topic from the various writings of this thinker?
With this purpose in mind I began to go through the books of Ustad Shaheed and compiled the present work. After that I conducted research and added references to give the final shape.
The following points are worth noting:
1. In this book we have collected the sufferings of Able Bayt (A) from 61 Majlises (mourning speeches) of Ustad Shaheed, which can fulfill the need of Zakireen (Majlis speakers) to some extent.
2. In compiling and researching the material, we have tried our best to retain the original style of the Ustad Shaheed.
3. Most of the material was in audio format so there was possibility of missing words and phrases. Hence we have compared them with original sources, and if the matter is mentioned in a different manner we have pointed it out it in the footnotes.
4. In the present age, in view of the cultural assault of the enemies of Islam, it is very important to make the young generation aware of the thoughts of this great scholar.
Therefore it would be better if our Zakireen recite the accounts of Karbala tragedy on the authority of Ustad Shaheed so that the incomparable service rendered by him is duly acknowledged. We hope that through this, the intellectual level of our youth shall be increased and our lectures will get academic authority.
5. All the merits of this book are as a result of the intellectual and practical struggle of the Ustad, his sincerity, internal purity and integrity, whereas if there are any shortcomings they are due to this humble servant.
At the end of this foreword, we present the reply of Ustad Shaheed to a question posed to him during the days of mourning for Imam Al-Husayn (A) and in it he has explained the need and importance of narrating the sufferings of Ahl al-Bayt; and also clarified the philosophy behind it.
- 1. Extract from Salawat related on the authority of Imam Zayn al-Abidin (A), which is recited everyday in the month of Shaban.