[Subject] [Date] [Moderator] Home

['Aalim Network QR] Cats as Pets

Salaamun alaykum,

	The reply to the following question was kindly provided by
Moulana Sayyid Muhammad Rizvi.

	"According to sharia are we allowed to keep cats as pets?"

	Believed Answer:  "Yes we are allowed to keep them as pets, but we
have to be carefull that we do not pray with the cat hairs on our body or
cloths of prayer".

	I believe that this is the answer but need clarification.  If
someone knows the correct answer and the reference, could they please
forward me the answer and the reference, as it is very important).

ANSWER:

	The answer written above is correct.

	As for the reference, there is no evidence in the Shari'ah which
prohibits having cats as pets.

	With regards to the cat's hair, see the mas'ala on "dress for
prayer" in the risalahs of the maraji`. Ayatullah Khu`i, for example,
says: The dress for prayer should "not be from the parts of the animal
whose meat is not halal...this would also apply to the hair found on the
cloths, etc." (Minhaju 's-Salihiyn, vol. 1, p. 138) Cat is surely an
animal whose meat is not halal, and, therefore, its hair should not be on
the dress of one who wants to do salat.

Sayyid M. Rizvi

Back: ['Aalim Network QR] Categories of Sins
Forward: ['Aalim Network QR] Changing Marja'