[Subject] [Date] [Moderator] Home

['Aalim Network QR] Slave girls

	The reply to the following two questions were kindly provided by
Dr. Takim.

In the time of the Prophet (saw), when the muslims would win a war, they
would get booty which would be distributed among the muslims: of which were
slave girls.

If that slave-girl was still a mushrikah, was it allowed for her owner to
have sex with her?

Yes, one is allowed to do so since the rules of normal marriage do
not apply to a slave girl

Also, what is Muhallal lahu mean in the context of slavery?

24:33 And do not compel your slave girls to prostitution, when they desire
to marry, in order to seek the frail good of this worlds life; and whoever
compels them, then surely after their compulsion Allah is Forgiving,

I do not believe the term is connected to 24:33 since Muhallal refers to the
act of making something or someone becoming halal. It has a different
connotation in slavery where after the period of istibra', she can become
halal for someone else if her owner so desires. 24:33 refers to forcing
slave girls to prostitution.

(In the context of slavery, istibra refers to the period when she becomes
paak i.e. idda. If a chicken for example, eats of its faeces, there is a
certain period in which it cannot be eaten so that the impurity is removed.
This is also known as istibra').

Yours in Islam,

Back: ['Aalim Network QR] Skin of an Animal Slaughtered Unislamically
Forward: ['Aalim Network QR] Slavery