[Subject] [Date] [Moderator] Home

['Aalim Network QR] Aqiqah for Convert?

	The reply to the following question was kindly provided by Shaykh

As-salam u aleikum, dear brothers and sisters,

A few weeks ago, I read that aqiqah (shaving of the newborn's head) is
obligatory and if your parents have not offered it, you should do it.

But what is the rule for a convert ? Is it possible that we need to do
something that should have be done at a time when neither our parents nor
we where suposed to do it ? The meaning of aqiqa is to celebrate the birth
of a muslim or isn'it ? Please clarify.

Please answer for Syed Sistani.

Wa Alaikum As-Salaam,

The proper ruling of the Aqiqah is that it is recommended. It is not
obligatory, although it is one of the highly emphasized acts of the Sunnah.
If a person did not have the Aqiqah at the time of birth, it is sometimes
done later for the blessing. As a convert, however, you should not feel
obligated to do something to make up for whatever you missed before you

Allah knows better.

Ali Rasheed

Back: ['Aalim Network QR] Apostacy (Irtidăd) in Islăm
Forward: ['Aalim Network QR] Aqiqah for Convert?