[Subject] [Date] [Moderator] Home

['Aalim Network QR] Nadhr(Vow)/Repaying one's own Qadha

	The reply to following questions was kindly provided by Shaykh
Mustafa.

QUESTION 1:

Salaam,

My question is in regard to "manath".

Is it true that we cannot do manath of namaz or fasting, if we have any that
are qadha?

If this is true, I know that as far as namaz is concerned, we must
complete our qadha namaz ourselves.  However, is this also true when it
comes to roza (fasting) or is there any other way to make up the owed
roza.  For example, can we send money?

ANSWER:

The word you are looking for is 'Nadhr' - a vow to recite Namaz or fast
upon successful completion of something. This can be done even if we have
Qadha outstanding.

Qadha fasts or namaz cannot be delegated to someone else during ones
lifetime. You can delegate after death by either leaving a will to that
effect or the eldest son (or any child for that matter) gets the qaza
repaid by paying people to do it.

			----------------------------------

QUESTION 2:

Can you tell me whether it is permitted to fast on behalf of parents who
are still alive, in order to make up for fasts they have missed (i.e.
qadha fasts).

ANSWER:

This cannot be done for the onus is theirs as long as they are alive.
Should they not be able to fast for reasons of disability or handicap, then
fast is NOT wajib on them. Prayers is wajib at all times, albeit could be
performed in different positions. If standing is not possible, then
sitting; if sitting is not possible, then lying down; and the worst
scenario is a person praying with movements of eyelids to show positions of
rukuu and sajda. Should anyone be unconcious as in coma, then prayers are
NOT wajib.

MASAIL OF AYAT. SEESTANI (From 'Islamic Laws'):

1396. As long as a person is alive, no other person can offer his qadha on
his behalf, even if he himself is unable to offer them.

With Salaams and Duas

Mustafa Jaffer

Back: ['Aalim Network QR] Nadey Ali
Forward: ['Aalim Network QR] Nahjul Balagha