[Subject] [Date] [Moderator] Home

['Aalim Network QR] Repeating Ayahs in Salat/ Mustahab Prayers

	The reply to the following question was kindly provided by Shaykh
Mustafa Jaffer.

Salamualaikum,

QUESTION 1:

Whenever I listen to Qur'anic tapes of Imams leading salat (who are
sunnis), I often notice that they repeat ayahs sometimes.  I personally
like it, but i was wondering whether it is allowed in Salat according to
Ahlul Beyt.  I have heard of a salat where one repeats iyyak na'boodo wa
iyyaka nasta'een 50 times.  So is it allowed in all prayers.

ANSWER:

If the repetition is only once for purposes of correction, there is no
problems. More than once for as long as the doubt persists on whether the
recitation has been correct or not is also alright. However, should the
repetition reach to a level of obsession, then the Namaz becomes will have
to be repeated.

See Rule Number 1025 of 'Islamic Laws'
			-----------------------------

QUESTION 2:

Connected with this is whether in non-wajib salats, can we recite only
portions of a surah.  I have heard of prayers where we recite ayat
al-kursi.  So is this rule for all non-wajib prayers or only specifics.

ANSWER:

In non-wajib Salaat, it is not wajib to recite a Sura after al Hamd.
However, if you choose to recite a Mustahab prayer that has a prescribed
method, then you should recite what has been prescribed. An example that
comes to mind is that of Namaz e Wahshat, a prayer to be recited for the
soul of a dead person on the first night after burial. This namaz is of
two rakaats with Ayatul Kursi after Suratul Hamd in the first rakaat and
ten times Suratul Qadr (Innaa Anzalnaa) after Suratul Hamd in the second
rakaat.

See Rule No: 995

With Salaams and Duas

Mustafa Jaffer

Back: ['Aalim Network QR] Renting vs Buying a Property
Forward: ['Aalim Network QR] Repentance (Tawbah)