[Subject] [Date] [Moderator] Home

['Aalim Network QR] Obstetrics for a Man

	The reply to the following question was kindly provided by Mulla
Asghar.

Salaamun 3alaykum

I have a friend who is an intern and now wants to choose his field...he
is considering obstetrics.  I have told him to specialize in something
other than obstetrics.

He says its not haram and he is 'mahram' with the women he sees cuz he
is a doctor, and that him practising wont affect him in anyway.  Now my
question is, "Is the field of obstetrics permissable for a man".  Can
you pls support your answer whether positive or negative with quran and
hadeeth.  and also sunni hadeeths, as this man is not quite Shia yet.

wa jazakumallah kheir aljaza

ANSWER:

Principally and Objectively, this course is not Haram. While practicing it,
he/she can see a Na-Mahram patient in a professional manner.

Mujtahids have given fatwas on this subject. However, if a Mahram
professional is available to one's satisfaction, then there should be no
need to refer to a Na-mahram.

Asgharali M M Jaffer

Back: ['Aalim Network QR] Obligatory Precaution - Example
Forward: ['Aalim Network QR] Omnipotence of Allah