[Subject] [Date] [Moderator] Home

['Aalim Network QR] Dogs / Pets (Follow-up)

	The reply to the follow-up question below as kindly provided by
Mulla Asghar.

ORIGINAL QUESTION:

Asalaam Alaaykum

My parents are non-Muslim and keep pets including dogs, cats and fish.  I
live with them and would like to know if I may walk the dogs and feed
them, etc., as my parents expect me to do if I am careful to clean my
clothing, etc., thoroughly afterwards.

If I am always having a level of doubt that there may be a dog hair on my
clothes while praying, is my prayer valid (I have tried everything to keep
dog hair off of my praying clothes but it is impossible.)

What pets are acceptable for a Muslim to keep?  Dogs, dogs that do not
shed hair, cats, rodents (rabbits, ferrets, mice, hamsters), reptiles,
birds, goat...?  Is there a pet that is especially recommended?

thanks you and salaam

ANSWER:

There is no harm in walking the dogs and feeding them, as long as you keep
yourself and your clothes clean and Tahir.  If you are careful enough to
avoid the hair and other moisture from the dog's body, then you may ignore
the doubts.

Pets are all allowed, except that one must be careful about such pets which
are NAJIS.  Secondly Islam enjoins upon us to look after them well.  If we
cannot, then they must be released.

Asgharali M.M. Jaffer

			--------------------------------

FOLLOW-UP QUESTION:

Asalaam Alaaykum

I was just wondering, what pets are najis?
I know dogs and pigs, but are cats also najis, for instance?

ANSWER:

Dogs and pigs are Najis.  Other pets like cats are not |Najis, but since
they belong to a clan of animals whose meat cannot be eaten by Muslims,
therefore prevention should be taken that their hair do not remain on your
clothes in which you pray.

Asgharali M.M. Jaffer

Back: ['Aalim Network QR] Dogs / Pets
Forward: ['Aalim Network QR] Donating Blood on Ashura