[Subject] [Date] [Moderator] Home

['Aalim Network QR] Mu'ta - Procedures

	The reply to the following question was kindly provided by Shaykh Mustafa

I need to ask a question about the procedures of mu'ta.  I am in mu'ta
for a year and my engagement has been extended to two years and I need
to renew the contract.  Can this contract be renewed without a waiting
time, since it is the same two people.  Additionally, when do I redo
the aqd?  What I mean to ask is when does the contract expire, if my
mu'ta is contracted on 21st July 1997, then does it expire 21st July
1998?  Does it expire at the same time that it was contracted to make
it a full year.  My mu'ta was not contracted in the country of my
residence, do I have to allow for the time difference?
I know that this is a picky question, but, I need help in answering it
since this problem is looming for me.  I would like to thank-you all
in advance, May Allah(s.w.t) give you ajar for your efforts.

The contract between the same two people can be extended and/or renewed
without any waiting period and before the expiry of the time of the first
contract. In your case, I would suggest a renewal/extension for another two
years. The renewal or extension is in fact a new contract and hence will
specify a new time and a new mahr. The boy will first have to 'gift' you
the remaining time (it may be only a couple of hours). This is done just by
the boy saying "I gift you the remaining period of this Aqd". Thereafter,
even immediately, a new contract is recited either by the boy and girl
themselves or their representatives thus enacting a new contract valid for
two years. In this case, there is no IDDA because the parties are the same....

With Salaams and Duas

Mustafa Jaffer

Back: ['Aalim Network QR] Mouthwash
Forward: ['Aalim Network QR] Muawiyah