[Subject] [Date] [Moderator] Home

['Aalim Network QR] A'isha - Use of the Name

The reply to the following question was kindly provided by Dr Liyakatali
Takim.

Regards

Abbas Jaffer

as salaam alaikum -

I have a brief question for you concerning the name A'isha. I am fairly new
to Islam and me and my wife are expecting our first child. At any rate, I
was wondering if such a name would be discouraged within the Shi'a
Islamic community due to the association she had with rebelling against
'Ali etc. or if it is a common enough name so as to not have relevence in
such matters.
Your advice will be much appreciated.

ANSWER:

Salaamun 'alaykum,

Due to her actions against Imam Ali during the times of the Prophet and
after his death (including the famous battle of the Camel), the followers
of the ahl al-bayt are not encouraged to keep her name for their children.

Wasallamu 'alaykum

Back: ['Aalim Network QR] A'isha
Forward: ['Aalim Network QR] Aamal of Shab-e-Besat (Eve of Declaration of Prophethood)