[Subject] [Date] [Moderator] Home

['Aalim Network QR] Hadith of Holy Prophet (S) to Umar

The reply to the following question was kindly provided by Shaykh Mustafa
Jaffer

Regards

Abbas Jaffer

Question:

Could you please tell me if this is a true and accurate hadith, and if so, how
should it be interpreted?

"Umar, let them weep. What comes from the heart and from the eye, that is from
God and His mercy, but what comes from the hand and from the tongue, that is
from Satan."

Thank you.

Answer:

The hadith has been recorded and when Umar reported this hadith, Aisha, the
daughter of Abu Bakr and wife of the Holy Prophet (SAW) said, 'The Prophet
(SAW) was referring to Jews grieving their dead'

Mourning for dead friends and relatives is allowed, but expression of grief
cannot include : hitting oneself to extent of harm, pulling one's hairs in
expression of deep grief, and tearing one's clothes. These are acts that go
beyond the limits of expressing grief permitted in Islam.

With Salaams and Duas

Mustafa Jaffer

Back: ['Aalim Network QR] Hadith from our Imams
Forward: ['Aalim Network QR] Hadith on Salaat