[Subject] [Date] [Moderator] Home

['Aalim Network QR] Khums on Property

	The reply to the following question was kindly provided by Shaykh
Mustafa Jaffer.

Assalam O Alaikum.

I have the following questions regarding Khums

Q1. Is khums payable on the money obtained from the sale of property
inherited from father. For example I (along with my siblings) inherited
from my father a plot of land which we now want to sell as a whole and
distribute the share according to rules of inheritance.

Khums will be payable on the whole property only if you know there is
outstanding amount to be paid or that your father was not paying Khums.
Otherwise, there is Khums only on the excess amount that you save after
deducting your expenses and that even at the end of the specified date -
the end of the year date.

Q2. Is khums payable on the money obtained from the sale of property
purchased by my father in my name. For example he bought a shop for me
in my name and now I want to dispose it of for some business reasons.

Same rule would apply - See answer above.

Q3. What is the case of property which I inherited from him or he bought
it in my name and it is still under my use (i.e I do not have any
intention of selling it). For example residential house, agricultural
land (under my cultivation), an office premises, etc.. Is Khums also
payable on them?

You will only pay Khums on the savings that is the profits (proceeds from
the land) less your expenses and all surplus funds available to you at the
end of the year (As specified by you) will have to Khumsed :)

Please note that my father used to pay khums from his savings. Please
also note that I am in Taqlid of Imam Khoei.

Alhamduli.... All the above has been taken from Articles of Islamic Acts by
Ayatullah Khui Pages 370-371.

With Salaams and Duas

Mustafa Jaffer

Back: ['Aalim Network QR] Khums on part used items
Forward: ['Aalim Network QR] Khums on RRSP/Mutual Funds