[Subject] [Date] [Moderator] Home

['Aalim Network QR] Leather - Touching with Wet Hands

The reply to the following question was kindly provided by Dr Liyakatali
Takim.

Regards

Abbas Jaffer

Assalamu alaikum
I just recently found out that a Muslim can not pray after touching with
wet hands anything that is made of leather from an animal that was not
slaughtered in an Islamic fashion. since i was unaware of this rule i
had purchased bags, purses and shoes made of leather before. is it
permissible for me to use them now? what if any of these items becomes
wet unknowingly or by rain?  am i supposed to rinse my feet everytime i
wear those shoes before i pray since i don't know if my feet have become
wet or sweaty or not? also i have a couple of items that i am unsure of
their material. if i don't know if they are made of leather or not what
am i supposed to do?

Salaamun 'alaykum,

You may use these items now but not when you are praying. You need to rinse
your feet only when you are sure that you have sweated or if any water
(e.g. rain) flowing from the shoes has come into contact with your feet.

If you are not sure if any material is made of leather or not then you can
assume that they are tahir.

With salaams and du'as

L. Takim

Back: ['Aalim Network QR] Leasing Property for Gambling/Drinking
Forward: ['Aalim Network QR] Leather Belt