[Subject] [Date] [Moderator] Home

['Aalim Network QR] Organ Donation

	The reply to the following question was kindly provided by Dr.

My question is one that I have had to deal with frequently in my
profession. I am a physician and have to address the topic of organ
donation quite frequently.It has caused me to think about myself and
my family.

As far as I know, we are not allowed to donate organs like eyes or kidneys
because they are a gift from Allah to us and we are responsible for them
and how these gifts are used.  Am I correct?

Is it allowed in Islam to be an organ donor (living in the Western
society)?  Are there any restrictions?  How about donating blood?

Please explain the reasons behind the answers.

thank you

Salaamun 'alaykum,

It is not permissible todonate the eye,however, donating a kidney for one
who has another healthy one is permissible.

As far as leaving a will is concerned, according to ayatullah Seestani,
organ donation is allowed only if the life of another Muslim depends on
this organ, in fact it is permissible even if the donor has not made such a
will. If it is done according to a will, there will be no diyya
(compensation) due.

Ref:  Contemporary Rulings Q 131-132.

Fi Amanillah

Liyakatali Takim

Back: ['Aalim Network QR] Omnipotence of Allah
Forward: ['Aalim Network QR] Our Role in the West