[Subject] [Date] [Moderator] Home

['Aalim Network QR] Interpretation of Rulings (Fatwas)

	The reply to the following question was kindly provided by Dr.
Takim.

Salaam alaykum,

I hope you are well Inshallah.  Could you please explain to me the
position of someone that misinterprets an Islamic ruling, i.e.  are his
deeds etc. invalid (e.g. namaaz, wudhoo...)

Also could you explain the position of the same person if the
misunderstanding was due to a mistake due to a mistranslation of the
ruling etc.

Allow me to give you two examples from the Taudhihul Masael of
A.Seestani, English version (Islamic Laws).

			***************************

"...put the place of wound or cut in Kurr-water or running water, and
press it a little so that the blood may stop..."(rule 285)

In common usage running water means any water which flows e.g. from a tap,
jug, kurr or non-kurr etc.  I acted according to my interpretation of
'running water'.  Then I noticed that running water here was refering to
Jaree water as explained in rule 29:

"Running water is that water which springs forth from the earth and then
flows, like the water of a spring or a canal."

Is my wudhoo valid?
    			**************************

"...recite Surah al-Hamd and the other Surah silently while offering Zuhr
and Asr prayers."(rule 1001) (also see rule 1016).

I thought silent meant no noise, therefore I recited as such, only moving
my lips.  However later I read:

"A person should pronounce Takbir, Hamd, Surah, Zikr and Dua in such a
manner that he should at least hear the whisper."(rule 961).

Is my namaaz valid?
    			***************************

I would appreciate if you could tell me the general principle concerning
the above problem so I know for the future and if necessary the answers to
my specific questions.

Jazakallah

Salaamun 'alaykum,

The general principle is that if you act on the best understanding of a
fatwa and did not deliberately misinterpret or distort a ruling then your
act will be accepted, insha-allah. Where one is not sure, one should seek
explanation from an alim.

Liyakatali Takim

Back: ['Aalim Network QR] Interest Payments
Forward: ['Aalim Network QR] Is Step Daughter Mahram