[Subject] [Date] [Moderator] Home

['Aalim Network QR] Music - Types

Salaam Alaykum

The following was obtained from CONTEMPORARY LEGAL RULINGS IN SHI'I LAW in
accordance with the rulings (fatawa) of
Ayatullah al-'Uzma al-Sayyid 'Ali al-Husayni al-Seestani

wa-salaam

-------------------------

QUESTION:

What kind of music/song is allowed in Shariah. The ulema I have talked to so
far mantain that the music used in " LEHW AND LAAB" is not permisible. This
term is not clear to many of our Momineen. Please clarify this and if
possible with example.

I am a muqallid of Ayatullah Al Uzma Syed Ali Sistani.
----

ANSWER:

[Moderator's Note: The following answer was obtained from the above
referenced book.  Additional questions regarding Music are available at the
link below].

Question posed to Syed Seestani:

What is the limit separating lawful from unlawful music? If the criterion is
its being labeled "entertainment or amusement," then this is not clear according to convention because there are differences of opinion on that.

Answer

The separating limit is its being of suitable quality for the gatherings of
amusement and of immorality.

http://www.al-islam.org/laws/contemporary/muamalat5.html

Back: ['Aalim Network QR] Music - Classical
Forward: ['Aalim Network QR] Music -- Why is it haram?