[Subject] [Date] [Moderator] Home

['Aalim Network QR] Sufro - The Nyaz on 22nd Rajab

Salaam Alaykum

The following was kindly provided by Mulla Bashir Rahim.

wa salaam

In the name of Allah
Dear Brothers As Salaam o alaikum

My question is regarding the (Quandon ki Niyaz) a urdu word. When I was
in India, I used to attend this celebration at many places on 22nd
Rajjab. What I understand the story behand that Fateha, is the day Mavia
died. People celebrated by sharing sweets during the period of Imam
Jafer Sadiq(AS). They did this in secret & hence disposed all the things
into the ground. Please tell me whether this concept of fateha is true
or not. I was thinking this celebration is universal in the Shia world,
but for my surprise my Shia friend from Lebanon said he never heard such
thing in his life.

-----
ANSWER:

There is no historic or theological basis for "Qundo ka Nyaz" or "sufro"
as it is known amongst the Gujerati and Cutchie Shiahs. It is true that
Muawiyah died round about the 22nd of Rajab but it is improper to suggest
that it is an auspicious occasion for 'nadhr-e-Sadiq (a.s.)'

However whenever the mu'mineen gather to reflect upon the mu'tabar
ahadeeth of the aimmah (a.s.) and to share the tabarrukaat is always an auspicious occasion.  The superstitious rituals surrounding the occasion are un-Islamic and must be got rid of.

The best course is to have dua'a-e-Tawassul and reflection of some of
the sayings of the holy sixth Imam (a.s.)

With salaams and du'aas from a humble servant of Ahlul Bayt and their
followers, and with a request to be remembered by you in your prayers,

Bashir Rahim

[Moderator's Note:  Please refer to the following links for additional
information regarding this event]

http://www.al-islam.org/organizations/AalimNetwork/msg00006.html

Back: ['Aalim Network QR] Sufro - Nyaz on 22nd Rajab-supplement
Forward: ['Aalim Network QR] Suicide - Burial Rites