[Subject] [Date] [Moderator] Home

['Aalim Network QR] Sufro - Nyaz on 22nd Rajab-supplement

Salaam Alaykum

The following question and answer was posted a few days ago.  However,
Mulla Bashir Rahim requested that an additional paragraph be included in
his original answer.  For your convenience, the original question and answer
are included first and then the appended paragraph.

wa salaam

In the name of Allah
Dear Brothers As Salaam o alaikum,
My question is regarding the (Quandon ki Niyaz) a urdu word. When I was
in India, I used to attend this celebration at many places on 22nd
Rajjab. What I understand the story behind that Fateha, is the day Mavia
died. People celebrated by sharing sweets during the period of Imam
Jafer Sadiq(AS). They did this in secret & hence disposed all the things
into the ground. Please tell me whether this concept of fateha is true
or not. I was thinking this celebration is universal in the Shia world,
but for my surprise my Shia friend from Lebanon said he never heard such
thing in his life.

There is no historic or theological basis for "Qundo ka Nyaz" or "sufro"
as it is known amongst the Gujerati and Cutchie Shiahs. It is true that
Muawiyah died round about the 22nd of Rajab but it is improper to suggest
that it is an auspicious occasion for 'nadhr-e-Sadiq (a.s.)'

However whenever the mu'mineen gather to reflect upon the mu'tabar
ahadeeth of the aimmah (a.s.) and to share the tabarrukaat is always an
auspicious occasion. The superstitious rituals surrounding the occasion are un-Islamic and must be got rid of.

The best course is to have dua'a-e-Tawassul and reflection of some of
the sayings of the holy sixth Imam (a.s.)

Personally I would like to see the 22nd of Rajab being celebrated as
'As-Sadiq' day as a homage to the great contribution of that Imam to the codification of the fiqh and exposition of the 'usool. In the same vein the
9th of Rabiul Awwal can be termed as the 'al-Qaim Day'.

With salaams and du'aas,

Back: ['Aalim Network QR] Sufro
Forward: ['Aalim Network QR] Sufro - The Nyaz on 22nd Rajab