[Subject] [Date] [Moderator] Home

['Aalim Network QR] Combining prayers (Timing of Adhan)

	The reply to the following question was kinldy provided by Mulla
Bashir.  Reference is also provided to previous replies in the archives.

Subject: combining prayers

Salaamun alaikum,

If the Prophet prayed Zuhr and Asr together, does that mean sometimes he
didn't pray Zuhr on time, like when he prayed them together during Asr
time. If so, does that mean when Bilal gave the adhan , the Prophet wasn't
there?  Or if he prayed them together but during the of Zuhr does that
mean he didn't show up to the masjid when Bilal gave the adhan?

Thank you for asking the above question.

All schools of thought of Muslims agree that the Holy Prophet (SAWA)
prayed the Zuhr and 'asr together at 'Arafah at the time of noon prayers
and prayed maghrib and 'isha together at Muzdalifa.

Ahadeeth also exist both in Sunni sources and our sources that on many
other occasions when there was neither fear nor was the Holy Prophet
travelling he would combine zuhr with 'asr and maghrib with 'isha. Our
Imams have declared that this is permissible at all times though it is
better to separate them.  According to the ahadeeth, the deciding factor
would appear to be the convenience of the ummah.

All these ahadeeth are cited in extenso in 'Masa'il Fiqhiyya' by Ayatullah
'Abd al-Hussain Sharaf al-Din al-Musawwi translated by our good friend Dr.
Liyakatali Takim.

As for the adhan, that would normally be recited before the prayers are to
be said.  Whenever the Holy Prophet was in Madinah, the Muezzin would
always wait for his instructions before calling the adhan. If the Holy
Prophet was to combine the prayers he would so instruct the muezzin. This
is supported by many ahadeeth from both Shiah and Sunni sources.

If you require a list of the ahadeeth and their references please write to
the Alim Network.
With salaams and du'aas from a humble servant of Ahlul Bayt and their
followers, and with a request to be remembered by you in your prayers,

Bashir Rahim

[Moderator's Note]

	Previous replies and ahadeeths on the issue of combining prayers
is available in the archives at the following URLs:

Back: ['Aalim Network QR] Combining Prayers (Follow-up)
Forward: ['Aalim Network QR] Comet Hyakutake