[Subject] [Date] [Moderator] Home

['Aalim Network QR] Ethnicity in Islam

	The reply to the following question was kindly provided by Shaykh
Muhawesh.

'Aalim Network

INITIAL QUESTION:

Salamun alaykum,

	I would like to ask that if somebody who is a Muslim and believes
in Islam but considers himself as a Muhajir [in this context, a migrant
from India following Partition] because he thinks that other Muslims
consider themselves as Punjabi, Sindhi and etc; Is he right or wrong?

CLARIFICATION OF QUESTION AND ANSWERS:

>Salamun alaykum,

Wa-alaikum as-salam,

----------------
  Q1:    I want to know if Islam allows us to refer ourselves based on
	  our ethnicity first?

ANSWER: Islam does not prohibit us from referring to ourselves as Arabs,
Indians etc. as long as that is not intended to be ethnicity vs. Islam. So
you can say I am an Indian Muslim & so forth.

---------------

  Q2:     Does Islam says that you can follow a leader who is not working
          for Islam but he is working for human rights without
          concerning Islamic laws?

ANSWER: It is prohibited to follow a leader who does not adhere to the
laws of Islam.

---------------

  Q3:     Does Islam allow us that we work for our ethnic group only
          not for other Muslims because we think that they are also
          working for their ethnic group only?

ANSWER: We can work for our ethnic groups if it is within the tenets of
Islam.

--------------

  Q4:     Does Islam allow us that we can kill other Muslim because
          of that, we think, due to him I am not getting my rights
          or he is not giving my rights or he is involves in killing
          of my ethnic group people or he is zalim?

ANSWER: Only Wali Al-Faqih can decide if a group of Muslims is to be
fought. The Faqih may give a ruling according to the guidelines mentioned
in the Quran whereby a Muslim group may become a transgressor against
another Muslim group [see verse 49:9 below]. Again, this is only decided by
the Wali Al-Faqih and not by any other leader including other Maraji.

Allah knows best.

Best Regards

Odeh A. Muhawesh

-------------

[Moderator's Note]

The verse 49:9 of the Holy Qur'an refered to in the reply is reproduced
below:

049.009
If two parties among the Believers fall into a quarrel, make ye peace
between them: but if one of them transgresses beyond bounds against the
other, then fight ye (all) against the one that transgresses until it
complies with the command of Allah; but if it complies, then make peace
between them with justice, and be fair: for Allah loves those who are fair
(and just).
------

Also, please note that there is a difference of opinion on the position
and role of the Wali al-Faqih and other maraja' in the abscence of the
12th Imam (as).  Please refer to the following questions and answers from
the archives for a review of these differences:

	http://www.al-islam.org/organizations/AalimNetwork/msg00005.html
	http://www.al-islam.org/organizations/AalimNetwork/msg00087.html
	http://www.al-islam.org/organizations/AalimNetwork/msg00465.html

Back: ['Aalim Network QR] Engagement - Contact during
Forward: ['Aalim Network QR] Extant written works from the Imams (as)