65 How can we invite others to do pious deeds?
The invitation of people to the Truth comes in various shapes and form, such as those listed below:
1. Simply by inviting them through words, such as the Ayahs that state “قل”, which means: Say.
2. Practical invitations: وَثِيَابَكَ فَطَهِّرْ - thy robes purify1, so others take your example.
3. Direct invitation: أَقِيمُوا الصَّلَاةَ directly saying to them that they need to perform the prayer2.
4. Indirect invitation: Through stories of the Qur’an. Like the story of Prophet Yousef AS, who was taken by his brothers in the name of playing games before throwing him into a ditch, in an indirect manner youth should be warned the enemy is leading our young astray, deviating us from our original goal and throwing us in the ditch of abjection in the name of sport, entertainment, technology etc.
5. Collective invitation: كَانَ رَسُولًا نَّبِيًّا he was a Messenger, a Prophet. Prophets were ordered to collectively invite people. 3
6. Private invitation: وَكَانَ يَأْمُرُ أَهْلَهُ بِالصَّلَاةِ The Prophet was ordered to invite his own family to prayer. 4
7. Invitation of spouses and children: قُل لِّأَزْوَاجِكَ وَبَنَاتِكَ - O Prophet! Tell thy wives and thy daughters.5
8. Invitation to relatives: وَأَنذِرْ عَشِيرَتَكَ الْأَقْرَبِينَ and warn thy clan, thy nearest kin. 6
9. Invitation to those in your country: لِتُنذِرَ أُمَّ الْقُرَىٰ وَمَنْ حَوْلَهَا for thee to warn the Mother of Cities and those about her.7
10. Invitation to the general population: إِنِّي رَسُولُ اللَّـهِ إِلَيْكُمْ جَمِيعًا Say: 'O mankind, I am the Messenger of God to you all.8
A fisherman and pearl diver should not concentrate their efforts in one corner of the sea or on one fish and oyster. A business man that is after more profit will not be content with the transaction of a single item of merchandise.