91. In the view of the Qur’an, who is a hypocrite?
There are four groups of people:
• A group who have both faith and do good deeds, those are the believers (مؤمن).
• A group that have neither faith nor action, those are the disbelievers (كافر).
• A group that have faith, but do not have the accompanying good actions, those are the defiantly disobedient (فاسق).
• A group that have no faith, but their deeds appear to be of a good and correct nature, those are the hypocrites (منافق).
Of course, hypocrisy has levels and stages. Lying is one kind of hypocrisy, lip service is another. Even an invitation to someone whom the inviter in their heart does not really want them to come, is a form of hypocrisy.