Timeline of Islamic History
In the Name of Allah, the Compassionate, the Merciful.
May the peace and blessings of Allah be upon Muhammad and his family.
What is the Timeline about?
The Timeline, aims to capture the major events that have taken place during the course of Islamic History. Using SIMILE Widget the timeline has been presented in a way that is easy to use and does not require any plugins. The first phase of the time line presents important events from the beginning of the life of the Prophet till 1000 AD.
How to use the Timeline?
The timline is divided into 2 sections. The bottom section is a zoomed out view that gives an overview of the timeline and the top view gives a more detailed view with labels as to what each event on the timeline indicates. The timeline can be moved left or right by clicking on either section and dragging it on either side. Both the sections will move simultaneously according to their own scale. The following features are also available:
- Filter: By entering the keyword in the filter field, the timeline will display information pertaining to that keyword. For example, if "Imam" is typed, the timeline will only show the events which have the word Imam in them.
- Highlight: By entering the keyword in the highlight fields, the timeline will highlight with a unique color the events containing that keyword.
- Shortcuts: The timeline is divided horizontally into different time-periods. Each time-period has a unique color & a shortcut link is provided to jump to the beginning of a particular period.
- Double clicking: Double-clicking anywhere on either sections of the Timeline, it will smoothly transition bringing in focus the point which was clicked.
- Further details: By clicking on any event, futher details will appear in a bubble.
What are the future plans for this project?
We plan to include more events focused on different fields such as art, education and science. Work to extend the timeline to show the Islamic Calendar is also underway. If you have any comments to the project, we would like to hear from you so that we can bring improvements.