[Subject] [Date] [Moderator] Home

['Aalim Network QR] Halal Meat and Meat Preparation

	The reply to the following questions were kindly provided by Shaykh
Mustafa Jaffer

Assalaamu 'alaikum.

Sorry for the two-part question.

First, please enumerate what constitutes halal and haram when it comes to
the slaughtering of an animal permissible
for Muslims to eat.  Please tell me which of these halal things are fard
and which are not.

Secondly, please tell me what constitutes halal and haram as
far as the preparation and cooking of that meat is concerned.  These
questions concern only meat and not animal by-products such as rennet,
etc.
Your answers may be used in a study I am preparing for a publication on
Halal restaurants in and around Toronto.

Jazaakullaah khair.  Khuda hafiz.

ANSWER:

The animals whose meat is allowed are:

 1) Cows (Beef)
 2) Goat (Mutton)
 3) Sheep (Mutton)
 4) Camel
 5) Chicken

There are other exotic meats that may be allowed and some are Makruh
(recommended to avoid eating them). Yet there are other animals whose meat
is absolutely forbidden like Pig (Pork), animals of prey (Lion, Tiger,
Leopard, etc).

The animal has to be free from eating human faeces. If any of the above
animals have been eating human faeces, there is a period of quarantine
(different for each animal) that has to be put in place. Only after the
expiry of that period can one proceed to slaughter the animal.

Slaughtering the animal has to be done in the following manner:

 1) The animal has to face Quibla (Fard)
 2) The person slaughtering has to be a Muslim (Fard)
 3) The person slaughtering has to recite Bismillah (Fard)
 4) Blood flowing out of the animal has to be left to take its natural
    course until the animal's body is empty of blood (Fard)
 5) Make the animal drink some water before slaughtering (Recommended)
 6)Do not let the animal see the knife or implement used for slaughtering
  (Recommended)
 7) Use a sharp knife or implement for slaughtering (Recommended)

After slaughtering, any person (Muslim or not) can handle the meat and
carve it into pieces to be used for cooking.

It has to be washed before cooking and after washing, only Muslims should
touch it or, if non Muslims were to touch it, then with gloves as contact
with a Najis person (KAfir) will make the meat najis and haraam to eat.

The meat, if fried, cannot be fried in Animal Fat or lard particularly
from animals that have not been slaughtered according to Islamic Sharia. If
there is enough evidence to confirm that the Animal Fat used to fry the meat
is from animals slaughtered according to Sharia, then it is OK.

Trust this will help. If there is anything else you specifically want to
know, please do ask.

With Salaams and Duas

Mustafa Jaffer

Back: ['Aalim Network QR] Halal Meat - Follow Up
Forward: ['Aalim Network QR] Halloween