[Subject] [Date] [Moderator] Home

['Aalim Network QR] Mujtahadeen- Education and Qualifications

Salaam Alaykum:

The following question was kindly reviewed by Mulla Asghar.  Please note
his suggestion below.

Jazak-allah

Aslam-o-Alikum

Please be sure that I do not mean any disrespect to any Ayatullah or the
great alims of our sect. However what I am extremely confused about is
that I have seen in Pakistan at least, usually the not-so-bright amongst
the family go for religious education, like I am a software engineer and
most of my cousins are also quite well educated in worldly terms,
however the one who could perform not so good was sent to a madrassa,
now he is planing to go to Qom. I do not know the process of becoming an
Ayatulloh but I think that the syllabus is not well versed in scientific
education and the stress is mostly on faiqah and shariah etc. However I
read in Nahjul-Balagha by the Bab-ul-ilm (AS) that science and religion
will ignite fire if seperated from each other.

My question is that I do not know the background of the current marajahs
and I do not know the syallabus and kind of education they went through
to become a Mujhtahid, I do not also know the input criteria of such
institutions and from what I gather its not extremely tough to get in.
Personally my study and research on Islam shows that scientific
education is a must in Islam as is the fiqah.

Somehow my heart does not agree that I should be in a taqleed of a
person and consider his as the ultimate word in religion when I am not
sure about his knowledge and calibre in all the fields of life. Yet
sometimes I am scared that I am not doing right, actually the same is
the problem with all my cousins and friends and I would be very grateful
if you can help and advice us on this.

I shall be obliged if the book Fiqh and Fuqaha is given to this brother
to acquaint him with the subject.

Later, he may write to us for further elucidation.

With Salaams,

Asgharali M M Jaffer

Moderator's note:  The book "Fiqh and Fuqaha" can be reviewed at the
following link: http://www.al-islam.org/fiqh/

Back: ['Aalim Network QR] Muharram - Actions not recommended in
Forward: ['Aalim Network QR] Mujtahid (How to become one)?